Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #1

Coffin arm bushings?

When I changed my trailing links a few months back I noticed the bushing were cracked on the coffin arms. I will need to replace the bushings this winter. I've seen elephantracing kits available. Are there any others and what is the general consensus on the re bush. Compounds, kits, streetability, etc., not a track car and would like to keep the suspension quiet.

Thanks.

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I would simply recommend the stock (or similar OEM style) bushings for typical street use. Any harder bushing will likely have a negative trade off (anywhere from minor to major) in NVH (noise, vibration, harshness).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

I thought you had to change the whole arm?
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Tyler

Garage
I've been looking at replacing the bushings on my coffin arms also. Powerflex has bushings with two different 'hardness' - track and street. If you do this I would be interested in what you think.

I'm delaying doing this because I am also considering changing the entire arm from vertex auto. This 'upgraded' arm has a replaceable ball joint.

Porsche Boxster Control Arms Upgraded & Rebuilt | Vertex Automotive

I recently replaced my rear upper control arms and it made a huge difference and got rid of a lot of noise. I'm doing the front upper control arms tomorrow.
redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
I thought you had to change the whole arm?
You do if going with stock bushings. The thin aluminum sleeve on stock bushings makes its nearly impossible to press them in without damage. If going with aftermarket bushings, you just have to burn and cut the F*** out of the stock ones to get them out. Aftermarket bushings are usually poly or solid aluminum, so they go in pretty easy with some grease.
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:27 AM   #6

Elephant Racing | Rubber Suspension Bushings | Porsche Boxster/Cayman

They list an extraction/installation tool for the central bushing for 75$ so that they can be changed on the car. No burning or cutting, not that I mind burning or cutting.
Though I might want to remove the arm for inspection of the inner bushing.
I'm going on the assumption that the 14 years of age means they should be replaced, not 60 000 miles.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbox986 View Post

I'm delaying doing this because I am also considering changing the entire arm from vertex auto. This 'upgraded' arm has a replaceable ball joint.

Porsche Boxster Control Arms Upgraded & Rebuilt | Vertex Automotive

Always like replaceable parts as opposed to through the whole thing away.

Anyone used these and replaced the ball joint?
How long are the standard ball joints good for normally?
Considering changing my front wheel bearings this winter, might just change the coffins at the same time. If I don't I'll just change the center bushings with stock equivalent hardness as thstone says. Don't want more noise.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Always like replaceable parts as opposed to through the whole thing away.

Anyone used these and replaced the ball joint?
How long are the standard ball joints good for normally?
I thought about those Elephant bushings because overall they might be cheaper than replacing the whole arm if do all 4. But the ball joint is not replaceable on the OEM arm, so I can't replace all the wearables on an arm. If I remember correctly Elephant has Street and Racing versions for their bushings.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
I thought about those Elephant bushings because overall they might be cheaper than replacing the whole arm if do all 4. But the ball joint is not replaceable on the OEM arm, so I can't replace all the wearables on an arm. If I remember correctly Elephant has Street and Racing versions for their bushings.
Those vertex rebuilt coffin arms have changeable ball joints so that might be my next move. But the question remains, how long are the stock ball joints good for? My ball joints are good, but the old center bushings are cracked. Just change the bushings and go till the ball joints need to be replaced, then go with the vertex rebuilt jobbies. Probably what I'm going to do. I'll wait till winter before pulling them out for inspection. If the inner bushings need doing too then I'll have to run the numbers to see if it's the rebuilt arms or just bushings.