Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Garage
Radiator leak?

I was doing my yearly radiator inspection/cleaning. It look like there is some moisture on the frame side end cap around the mount point. I was hoping it was condensation or road water but it smells like antifreeze. I ran the engine until it warmed up but it didn't get any worse (more), and what was there dried away. Is there any issues with the plastic end caps on these radiators. I did a search and checked on some other sites.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

Garage
Yes , the radiators are a piece of crap. The main issuer is that the inlet/outlet manifold is plastic and that there mount point is in this plástic piece. All the stress is on this mount point which eventually cracks and causes a leak. I found out that hitting a curfb didn't help.
Luckily the radiators are rather cheap (a little over $200) and are relatively easy to replace. Most of the work is removing the bumper and burping the cooling circuit.

nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote