Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #1

installing brey kraus roll bar extension on 986

Trying to install the BK extension. Are there supposed to be side plates that came with it. Purchased it second hand and was told everything was there, but seems like there are supposed to side plates?

jonasjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Yes, there should be two side plates that go over the seat belt anchors, then two bolts secure the roll bar to the plate.
56 Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

thanks, thats what i thought, when i bought it was told "everything you need is there", well off to find plates and bolts
Old 09-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #4

Here are the instructions and you can see the side plates in Step 8:

http://qnuwm.rpstd.servertrust.com/v/vspfiles/instructions/R3010.pdf

Is there a chance that they are bolted on already to the bar? At the ends of the bar is there a circle, and then 2 round hex bolts holding on a small metal piece to the bar?

BK is really good to work with and they might be able to hook you up with just the plates and hardware (they sell a hardware kit already but you could get it cheaper from a place like Fastenal, I can give you the sizes tonight if you need), and I would file a claim on the seller if you did it through paypal/ebay and have them cover it for you.

Contact info for BK is here:
BKAuto.com - Brey-Krause Performance Driving Accessories

You can call them and ask to speak to an engineer and there is a chance you may talk to the guy that designed the bar. I have called them a few times with questions and they are always very good to talk to.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #5

Is this the one you got?

Brey Krause Roll Bar Extension 986 Boxster - Rennlist Discussion Forums

If so the side plates are in the picture and mounted to the bar (you will have to take at least one off to get it mounted and loosen the other one - it is easier to just take them both off) - if this is the one you have everything you need. Sweet price for $350.

Also, I have a roll of helicopter tape, PM me your address and I'll drop some in the mail to you so you can put the strip of tape under the BK bar to protect your OEM roll hoops, not really necessary if this is going to be a dedicated track car but if you ever plan to convert back to street this can protect the finish on the back of the hoops.

Last edited by steved0x; 09-02-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

bk bar

Thanks Steve!
I found the BK Hardware kit they say have the plates and bolts for $21 so will get that and hopefully take care of it.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

Awesome! Let us know when you get it installed!