Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 05:24 AM   #1

First Boxster S Autocross Experience

I ran my '06 Boxster S at it's first autocross yesterday and thought I would post some impressions.

My car has PASM, Sport Chrono, Sport Shifter, Adaptive Sport Seats, Sport Steering wheel, etc. Basically I have all the sport options except for PCCB brakes and wheel spacers. I recently obtained some new Cayman S wheels and put Nitto NT-01 R compound tires in 245/40-18 and 275/35-18. The tires were not even scrubbed in yet as my first drive on them (and 18" wheels) was to get to the autocross location.

First, in regards to 18" versus 19" wheels I have to qualify any comments because I was not on street tires on the 18's and ther rear tires are a lower profile than the street OE 18" size. The smaller wheels felt a little more fluid in transition and probably have a better ride in terms of comfort but I didn't feel any big difference. I believe the 987's look better with 19" wheels and that would be the biggest factor in me deciding on 18" or 19" for a 987 Boxster.

Unfortunately, it was raining moderately for my first practice runs and the tires were still slick from molding agents in the tires so the car was skating around quite a bit. I kept PASM/SC on sport with PSM on. It was a valuable experience to feel the car transition from neutral to oversteer and understeer in the rain. Off the line with little traction it was obvious that the car could have benefited from a LSD. Too aggressive acceleration out of the hold results in spin and then wheel hop.

Afternoon sessions (the ones that count for the competition) the course was much drier but still a little damp. The tires finally got some heat in them and felt much better with the lack of standing water (duh!). I generally had good traction coming out of the corners and didn't see a big need for an LSD though it probably would make the car faster in an autocross situation and would definitely help with the launch from the start box. My times were very competitive but I did find PSM in sport mode abruptly cutting the throttle in one section consistently and another if I was too aggressive with the throttle; PSM Sport did not like heavy power oversteer situations. I had heard from a couple of sources that the car is a handful without PSM so I was leary to switch it off for my competition runs as this was my first time autocrossing a mid-engined car.

We had time to run some timed fun runs shortly after I finished my competition session (same course conditions) and it was time to test without PSM. I was immediately over 1 second faster on a short 40 second course without PSM, got quicker on each of the three fun runs without PSM and the last run was about 1.5 seconds quicker than my best competition run. The sections were PSM was kicking in were not hairy at all; just some fun tail out power oversteer. My best run without PSM was within .2 of a second of the FTD for the event. Autocross often requires quickness and tossing the car around like you would never do on a road course. I think PSM sport would never be intrusive on the track driving smoothly but I will never use it in a dry autocross again.

I didn't get a chance to get the car aligned to maximize negative camber up front yet but I will before the next event. With the tires scrubbed in and car aligned this will be a very fast autocross car. I definitely feel that I am getting used to autocrossing this car even though it is very different than the other cars I have autocrossed (modded WRX and C32 AMG Mercedes).

Carl

Last edited by Carl AMG; 04-24-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 AM   #2

Hi,

Sounds as if you had a great time! PSM and other Driver aids will generally restrict a good driver, but aid an average or less then average one.

These simply cannot think, they merely respond to sensor data which cannot really put the conditions into context like the mind of the Driver.

You see the situation completely different. You may see hanging over the edge for 25 feet or .3 seconds and realize you can get through it... the PSM cannot make this judgement, it just knows it's beyond its programmed parameters and responds to reel it back in. I'm not at all surprised you're quicker without it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-24-2006 at 12:01 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #3

Agreed. I could never even think to autocross my AMG with ESP on because it is even more intrusive. I thought the Porsche PSM would be more driver oriented, especially in Sport mode of the Sport Chrono, and it probably is compared to the Benz. However, as I said, it really tries to reign you in from power oversteer maneuvers which are often the fast way to rotate the car on an autocross course.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #4

I have never seen a Merc at an Autocross. Strange..
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #5

I can't speak to the 987, but I know on my base 986 there's no way I'd be faster with it on, especially on a short twisty trak typical of an autocross.

Find yourself a nice sized empty parking lot, switch the PSM off, and find out where the limits of the car are, and how far you can push them.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I have never seen a Merc at an Autocross. Strange..
Here's the C32 that be me (veteran vs. amatuer). In retrospect, I should've turned off both the AC & traction control... And starting off in 2nd gear may not have been a good idea.

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:17 AM   #7

If that's a C32 AMG he has at least 100hp on a base box.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #8

AMG = higher insurance

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote