Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Pretty sure I snapped a top cable

First off... this is my fault. I did it. I take credit.

I bought a SmartTop module, installed it, and it didn't work just the way it should. I read the manual, it needed to be put in manual program mode and honestly, I didn't have the time to deal with it then, so I put the stock module back in. Long story short, after a series of swapping modules, I put the SmartTop module in with the top UP (closed), and then lowered it. That's the opposite of what it says to do.

Somewhere in the lowering process, there was a nasty thump. I shut the car off, but the damage was done. The top doesn't go up or down now. The motor will run for a little bit in either direction, but no actual movement.

There's enough play in the top where you can manually move the front a little bit. I have the top closed now, so can do plenty of top-up motoring.

From what I have read so far, I'm pretty sure I snapped a cable. Or maybe some other damage. The body work is fine. No outward signs of damage, and the lid isn't malformed or out of alignment at all.

So now I need to get it fixed. My understanding is this top is a downright PITA to work on, especially if it's locked in the closed position. Besides, given my track record, I'm afraid I'll do more damage than good.

Who should I take it to? Dealer? Trim shop? My *only* concern at the dealer is cost. I'm sure they'd be qualified to do the repair. I thought about independent shops, but figure that would be more mechanical in terms of drivetrain, etc. My experience with auto shops is they don't mess with convertible tops and will refer me out to a trim shop. My overriding concern with trim shop or independent shop... do they know what they're doing on the convertible top, or will I wind up spending just as much there without getting the expertise?

This bone-head is ready for recommendations if you've got 'em.

1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Welp, it's now almost a week later and no replies here. So I went in search of estimates this morning. A little north of $2400 from the dealer. A little less than that at the independents. I left the car with one of the better known independent shops here in town and we'll see what happens.

I've had LOADS of convertibles. Classics, modern, stuff in between. I've never had this kind of sticker shock before. Stupid plastic parts. I'm mad at me, I'm annoyed at the car, I'm miffed the manufacturer has the gall to charge what they do for the parts. Don't mind me. I'm just pissy about it right now. I can't stand the idea of blowing $2,000 on a car and it doesn't come back any "better", just "functional."
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
Old 07-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I just saw your post, and wish I had seen it earlier. Did you check the plastic ball joints, and/or check to see if the transmission cables were still attached to the motor? Did the mechanic give you any idea of what might be wrong with it?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #4

Haven't done it myself, but many have been happy using the top in manual mode permanently, some even shaving 30+ pounds by removing the auto roof bits. Just something to think about.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

let me see if I can remember how the top works, If the lid comes up normally and only one side of the top moves, it is most likely just a ball end on the push rod broken. If the lid and the top on one side is not moving then it is the transmission gear in one of the transmissions that has gone.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:50 AM   #6

Garage
I would like to hear the resolution. Does the top not moving mean the soft top and the clamshell or just the top? If only the top then I would look at the push rods.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
To clarify the symptom: push the top button in either direction and you get about a half-second's worth of groaning noise and then nothing. No action in either direction. The clamshell is locked shut.

The dealer says the pushrods are shot and both transmissions are "loose" and likely need to be replaced. The independent shop said the same thing (without being informed of the dealer's diagnosis) and that the transmissions may or may not be salvageable.

The owner of the independent shop is an enthusiast and road-racer himself, and had his personal (very street, very nice) 986 at the shop.

At the end of the day, it's in his hands now and I'll trust him to treat me well. The parts are Porsche parts, so that's an "is what it is" situation. Best I can hope for is that he's not going to be brutal with the labor and sell me only the parts I really need.

Something that kind of made me wary of the dealer is they also informed me the car would need a $2500 clutch replacement because it's loose. Funny, I've been driving it all around and it doesn't seem that way to me. Maybe my frame of reference is off, but I'm not spending that for a clutch.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

I had a cable snap today. Tweaked the clamshell.

Drove around this afternoon with it in manual top mode. The clamshell looks like **************** sitting high on the drivers side and bouncing around. Anyone have a way to secure it without the mechanism being attached?
Probably two weeks before my parts order from pelican gets here. :ah:

Last edited by WillH; 07-26-2015 at 01:57 PM.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:54 AM   #9
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Aw... Will, I'm sorry to hear that. FWIW, the clamshell looks worst to YOU. Probably nobody else even notices. No "top shaming" here.

I think the issue you experienced and the issue I experienced are 2 different things and based on my new-found education (tuition is HIGH at the School of Hard Knocks) yours does sound like a traditional cable snap, whereas mine was snapped pushrods.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #10

Sorry I was traveling -- Next time get your parts from Woody down in Bastrop (he recycles Boxsters that have seen better days)
-- I'm sure he had what you needed for a fraction of the cost.

m

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote