View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
gtoger
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Pretty sure I snapped a top cable

First off... this is my fault. I did it. I take credit.

I bought a SmartTop module, installed it, and it didn't work just the way it should. I read the manual, it needed to be put in manual program mode and honestly, I didn't have the time to deal with it then, so I put the stock module back in. Long story short, after a series of swapping modules, I put the SmartTop module in with the top UP (closed), and then lowered it. That's the opposite of what it says to do.

Somewhere in the lowering process, there was a nasty thump. I shut the car off, but the damage was done. The top doesn't go up or down now. The motor will run for a little bit in either direction, but no actual movement.

There's enough play in the top where you can manually move the front a little bit. I have the top closed now, so can do plenty of top-up motoring.

From what I have read so far, I'm pretty sure I snapped a cable. Or maybe some other damage. The body work is fine. No outward signs of damage, and the lid isn't malformed or out of alignment at all.

So now I need to get it fixed. My understanding is this top is a downright PITA to work on, especially if it's locked in the closed position. Besides, given my track record, I'm afraid I'll do more damage than good.

Who should I take it to? Dealer? Trim shop? My *only* concern at the dealer is cost. I'm sure they'd be qualified to do the repair. I thought about independent shops, but figure that would be more mechanical in terms of drivetrain, etc. My experience with auto shops is they don't mess with convertible tops and will refer me out to a trim shop. My overriding concern with trim shop or independent shop... do they know what they're doing on the convertible top, or will I wind up spending just as much there without getting the expertise?

This bone-head is ready for recommendations if you've got 'em.
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote