Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Some weirdness at the track.

Winding it out down the straight after a few laps of high rpm driving, I get a smoke bomb and a flashing CEL ! Oh dear me, says I. What could be the cause of this? Then the CEL goes out and the car continues like nothing had happened.
Cruise into the pits and hook up the Durametric: misfire code and specifically cylinder 6 misfire code ( can damage catalytic converter, it says). Clear the codes. Run some more laps, drive the next day ( slower due to wet track). Nothing. Drive home, pull #6 plug: clean and dry. Still no codes. Pull the AOS to intake plenum tube and it seems a bit oily. I am suspicious of this. So what do you think friends? Am I on the right track?

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

How full was your oil before the track day? I had *exactly* those same things my first track day, which was right after an oil change in which I filled it 1-2 bars over the top. To resolve I dropped the oil filter and them reinstalled a new filter/o-ring. Now when I do an oil change I only fill to halfway between the bars instead of to the top and it has never reoccurred for me, and I have done maybe 12-13 track days since then.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:03 AM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Yes, I think you are on to something here. Thanks Steve!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:12 AM   #4

I found my original thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/48301-troubleshooting-sorting-possible-aos-issue-maybe-something-else.html

The other thing I have heard is that the 986 is very sensitive to oil overfilling, such that I have heard that at some point the digital oil display was calibrated so that the top bar/max full indicator was calibrated to show full with slightly less oil than before. I can't find the thread with this info though, so it may be me just mis-remembering what I thought I read.

When I blew my smoke bomb I came through turn 8/9 in third and then took 3rd right up to the redline and then shifted into 4th and that was when it happened. Since then I have been more conservative about my shifting, usually shifting between 6000 and 6500, but I am doing even more WOT now than I did back then.

Since my smoke bomb (on 9/7/2013) I have done 13 additional track days with no smoke bomb.

I was majorly freaked out but I think it is resolved with not running the oil at the top. I have heard about folks that setup a catch can after AOS, and then they fill the oil to the full mark, and then within their first few sessions the catch can fills up to a certain amount and then oil goes down a certain amount and then it all stabilizes there.

If you have a 2003 or up Boxster then you can more easily retrofit the larger AOS (super $$$ though) or if you have a lower year Boxster it takes a lot of fabrication and finagling to get it installed. I decided to just keep the stock one and keep an eye on it.

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote