Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

horn sounding while driving , and alarm woes

So when I am driving around ill occasionally get a red flash from my door lock button accompanied by interior lights coming on, and the horn going beep beep. I also cannot unlock my door with the key first without the alarm going off. I have to unlock my trunk first, then open my door to avoid the alarm sounding and disturbing the neighbors. Pretty embarassing. I also know when its acting up my passenger window wont drop down to clear the roof when you pull the door handle. When its not acting up the window works as it should.

Any leads?

2013grandsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #2

I had a very similar set of circumstances. Alarm beeping twice while driving, red door lock indicator light on intermittently, windows not moving down that initial 1/2" properly. The fault codes suggested a door lock issue. I replaced the door lock mechanism on the passenger side, and the problem went away....sort of. I then replaced the ignition switch, to no effect. I'm going to replace the driver's side door lock mechanism next and see what happens. There are other threads on here too that describe what others experienced. Most suggest problems with failed micro switches on locks. Could be either trunks, the gas fill cover, or even the locking compartment on the center console. Having a mech read the codes may provide some indicators. I spoke with a dealer about it and they suggested replacing the alarm module; something I couldn't do myself and that would have cost over $1K. At this point at least the car alarms properly and it doesn't go off while driving so I'm just trying to overlook it. Best of luck.
Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #3

now it seems to be worse. More often than now I am now driving along and the alarm goes beep beep. So annoying. Everyone thinks I am honking at them.

Additionally I noticed I cant lock or unlock the car with the alarm button on my key. If I try to unlock it manually by putting the key in the door, the alarm goes off;

I have to unlock the trunk first and then get into the car.

I lastly noticed that when I lock the car by putting the key into the door, the passenger door never seems to lock. Ever.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

so I ran the codes today...

61 central locking limit position unlock not reached
47 central locking synchronzation
60 central locking limit position lock not reached
54 radio receiver faulty

My drivers and passenger windows sometimes go down when you pull the door handles, sometimes the dont. It beeps twice at me when I get out or lock and unlock the car. It will beep twice randomly when I am driving.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #5

Normally the car beeps twice after being locked and a door or lid isn't closed. Maybe it's a microswitch on the passenger door with the window's lack of travel being the first indication.
Oh and a, I think you've found out why the car was sold.

Last edited by woodsman; 12-31-2014 at 02:14 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #6

Can i buy just the microswitch? I know i had to replace a regulator on a previous boxster to get the window dropping properly again

I dont understand the 54 radio code because i have stock radio
Old 06-13-2015, 05:51 AM   #7

Were you able to determine the resolution to these items? It seems I have a Boxster with the same issues.
sfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfxr View Post
Were you able to determine the resolution to these items? It seems I have a Boxster with the same issues.
He eventually took it to a shop for the repair:
door lock replacement

I'm pretty sure that he sold his car and doesn't hang around here any more:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/55405-fs-fl-2001-porsche-boxster-70k-miles-6spd.html

Try this:
Porsche Boxster Door Lock Mechanism / Door Handle - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

and post a new thread with your specifics if you can't figure it out.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote