Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 03:11 PM   #1

Can a de-snorkeled Boxster be re-snorked?

The threads that I read about de-snorkeling suggest that you yank really hard to pull out the snorkel.

The one drawback that concerns me would be a comment about de-snorked Boxsters drawing in hot engine compartment air versus cooler air provided by the snorkel by way of the input end being next to the vent. Is this true?

I'm not concerned about rain or car washing or cigarette butts as some people have been.

But if I detect a decrease in performance due to it being de-snorked, is it easy to put the snorkel back? The yanking that seems to be required to get it out seems to me to be irreverisible; almost as if you are breaking something free.

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #2

You cannot and will not lose performance doing this mod. You also will not gain any performance from this mod. The whole cold air/warm engine air argument is not valid as this is a closed system and air can ONLY be drawn from the outside of the car.

I have not tried to reinstall the snorkel but don't see why it cant be done. Nothing "breaks" when pulling out the snorkel. It is basically just pressure fitted into the airbox. It may take a bit of work to get it to snap back in...but I don't think you will ever want to do this once you remove it. The sound is just perfect with no worries of any type of resonance like on an exhaust system. As stated earlier...the best part...it costs $0!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #3

What about rain? Won't the rain, when driving at higher speeds, have easier access to the intake?
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
What about rain? Won't the rain, when driving at higher speeds, have easier access to the intake?
No. Large amounts of water would have to enter the airbox, go through a series of turns, pass through the air filter, go through another series of turns and then enter the engine. The snorkel never kept rain out of the airbox.

FYI- I live in Chicago and have had my snorkel removed for 1 1/2 years now. I drive the car year round and only garage it occasionally. No problems and I do check my filter every month or so when I'm bored. Nothing has ever entered that shouldn't be in there.