Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #1

Muffler Advice Please!

Time to replace the muffler on my 2000 Boxster (non-S, 2.7L). No money left to do the rest of the exhaust system as I just about blew my entire budget on IMS, RMS, clutch, wheel bearings....the list goes on.
But...thanks to a loose baffle, looks like I need a new muffler, and I'd like to do something other than OEM.
Here's the big issue: I live in a community with some pretty strict noise ordinances. I also do a little highway driving from time to time and I don't think my wife and I want to have to scream at each other to be heard on a road trip.
So, in short, looking for something with a pleasing roar when I'm on the throttle, a nice little rumble on idle, and fairly quiet at speed.
Any recommendations?

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

I installed the Top Speed Pro 1 Performance muffler purchased from E-bay. It took a little modification to the mounting bracket to get it to hang centered; but for $300.00 it was well worth it. I love the sound and it's not too loud.
jklaspok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

Before I posted this, I did a search on this forum and found some older posts on exhaust systems from a few years ago, and was hoping for some updated info. Interestingly enough, there was some negative info on the Top Speed muffler in some of those old posts. So...interesting. How long have you had the Top Speed?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #4

I did the "crios mod" on mine a few years ago, and it made a nice change. A little deeper, and louder at low speed/low RPM. Above 3500rpm or so, and it's all induction noise anyways. You've pulled out your snorkel already, right?

DIY Exhaust Mod – Gain of 10+ HP!!!
^ btw, zero HP different here, it's just a silly title

I've got some cat bypass pipes I'm putting on next, to get a little more volume and rasp.
CrashTest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

I have not done the desnorkel yet. Sounds to me like I have a loose baffle in the muffler, so I don't think the Crios mod will do anything for me except add a nice low resonance to the rattle sound.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

Do the 'oettle' bypass. Take it to a fabricator and ask them to drill a hole in each pipe that goes into the muffler, and a hole in the tailpipe in each side, and just two pipes joining them up.

The result is a sound that sounds exactly like the Porsche Sports Exhaust (due to it being the same technique of bypassing the muffler), original looks, and being VERY cheap to do. It cost me £130 GBP, all in.

Before:

After:

And the real PSE:

Notice the similarities?

This is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thocwey5K9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N71oYX-ejZk

I'd recommend it to anyone

The best thing about it is that it's eliminated the drone you get at certain revs on the motorway. So it makes the motorway journeys more comfortable, while making it sound incredible.

Look into it!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 03-18-2016 at 12:20 PM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
That is cool, Ger. It seems similar to the the other PSE - Pedro Sports Exhaust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
WALDMEISTER

Garage
00004420012 - ROW-version (PSE shown in photo) = bit louder than standard
00004420020 - US-version = even louder (looks completely different, actually like a regular S muffler)

Lots of Germans tried to get their hands on the US-version.
I will try to snatch the ROW-version (they call them Salzstreuer=salt shaker over here ), as I like the Sebring chrome look of it

@geraintthomas: Sounds really nice, well done.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #9

Ger, that is very, very interesting. Unfortunately, I think my current muffler is toast due to a loose baffle. So what I'm looking for is a non-oem muffler that won't break my bank account but will actually provide a bit of a sound improvement. Here's the thing...there just isn't very much out there. It seems my choice is a $300 ebay muffler or a complete system for close to 10x that from Fabspeed. I know price does not always equal quality, but I'm understandably concerned about that huge price spread. I'd go with the ebay unit if I knew it was going to hold up over time.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #10

Garage
Check w/ Woody on the "Parts for Sale" area of this forum. His screen name is Itsnotanova. He handles lots of parts and is very reasonable.

I have an 04S and I just did the cat delete pipes on mine. Adds a rumble but no drone at highway speeds. I kept the stock muffler.

New Cat Delete Pipes
Old 03-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #11

What will cat deletes do for emissions? We have pretty strict testing here in Road Island.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
What will cat deletes do for emissions? We have pretty strict testing here in Road Island.
I cannot comment for your car and your state, but in PA we have strict emission testing plus the cat I removed was the secondary cat, not the primary attached to the header.

People in California have commented that they have installed the same modification and have passed their emission testing.

In my situation, I kept my secondary pipes in the event that I do fail and will reinstall them.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #13
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The cat delete pipes will not affect emissions because you will still have a cat in each of your exhaust manifolds. As for the muffler, look on craigslist. You can probably find a used one for around $100 locally. Then you can do any of the mods talked about on here. A used muffler that has to be shipped will cost because of its weight. I have a used one in great shape that I would sell for $100, but shipping it would most likely cost the same.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #14

Sounds like the best idea yet. There really isn't much out there. Maybe I should start my own business. I thought it would be easy to get an aftermarket cat back that was lighter than the 40 lb stock unit with better sound. Sheesh.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #15
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like the best idea yet. There really isn't much out there. Maybe I should start my own business. I thought it would be easy to get an aftermarket cat back that was lighter than the 40 lb stock unit with better sound. Sheesh.
You can get that, but you will also get a muffler that drones at 3000 RPM. It has been said that the drone goes away with the cat delete pipes. Then of course the cost goes up to closer to $500. So if you don't mind the stock mufflers weight, then a used one that you can mod will end up costing you less.

I have done the Crios mod to my stock muffler. Small sound gain and no drone. My buddy has a stock muffler with the bypass mod. Huge sound gain and no drone.

In the end I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Not sure about the fit, but I have a very low miles stock muffler from a 2001 S model you can have for $300. I'm less than an hour drive from Providence
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post

People in California have commented that they have installed the same modification and have passed their emission testing.
No issues in California as long as they don't do a visual inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
00004420012 - ROW-version (PSE shown in photo) = bit louder than standard
00004420020 - US-version = even louder (looks completely different, actually like a regular S muffler)
Hey BRAN.. I am not sure you're correct. I believe that the 00004420020 is for 2003 and 2004 Boxsters. It doesn't have those large wrap around pipes due to the bumpers on those year cars. The 00004420012 one is for 2002 and earlier cars. I bought (stole?) a PSE off of eBay for $125 shipped. It was poorly listed.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #18

Not to muddy the waters, but how long do the cats last on these cars? Reason I ask, if my cats are going to give up the ghost soon, I'm probably better off waiting until the bank account recovers and go with the full system, like Fabspeed (over 2 large...ouch). Coming up on 70k miles soon.

How I wish I could find a full OEM sport exhaust on ebay for $125.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #19

Garage
I have the Top Speed. Not too much drone. It is quite louder than stock.
But hey it's a sports car!
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #20
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
The cat delete pipes will not affect emissions because you will still have a cat in each of your exhaust manifolds.
For completeness, early (97-99) Boxster's only have a single cat that is installed down stream of the exhaust header and before the muffler (not integrated with the exhaust header).

Deleting the single cat on an early Boxster will result in emissions test failures every time.

Quote:
So what I'm looking for is a non-oem muffler that won't break my bank account but will actually provide a bit of a sound improvement.
Get the TopSpeed or eBay muffler. They are durable, sound great, and are an excellent deal compared to much higher priced alternatives.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-19-2016 at 10:49 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote