Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #21
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
I think you'd have to contact one of the dyno manufacturers like Dynojet, Dyno Dynamics or Maha. There will be an algorithm/formula in the software which will allow user input of a restricted amount of input parameters.
Think I would rather do it the way it's stated in the Pelican article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
The dynos that show flywheel HP gathered at the rear wheels have always been a joke to me. The drivetrain losses are calculated through a wizard thats no where near accurate for the drivetrain of a Porsche. On top of that, the ones I've seen before allow the user to put what ever figure they want in for a drivetrain loss and the software moves the curve. Its a real good way to cheat.

Numbers gathered at the rear wheels should always be just that. They should not be converted to some wild guess drivetrain loss correction.

If you want flywheel HP numbers, gain those from an engine dyno.

The quickest way to slow a car down is to use a dyno to gather the wrong data, for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-08-2015 at 07:18 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #22
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Sometimes I wonder about the total fixation on maximum HP output. At our local auto cross, the perpetually dominant Boxster is a 2.7L bone stock (other than an IMS Solution) 986 with a five speed. He regularly hammers highly modified cars with seeming ease. It ain't always about horsepower............
That's probably due to him having his chassis dialed in perfectly.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #23
Rennzenn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Sometimes I wonder about the total fixation on maximum HP output. At our local auto cross, the perpetually dominant Boxster is a 2.7L bone stock (other than an IMS Solution) 986 with a five speed. He regularly hammers highly modified cars with seeming ease. It ain't always about horsepower............
Amen to that! I'm currently hunting down a couple of Z06 Vettes.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #24
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Amen to that! I'm currently hunting down a couple of Z06 Vettes.
I like the sound of that, but you're not stock in engine or body weight department. Do you have the ROW M030 suspension?

EDIT: Just looked at your garage. You have K-sport adjustable coilovers listed. Is that what you're still running?

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-08-2015 at 07:33 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #25
Rennzenn

Garage
Yup, 7 years on and I'm still on the KSports. Waaay over sprung with all of the weight loss now.