Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #1

2001 Boxster Speedo Meter

Hello there,
I have a 2001 Boxster, my battery died and then I noticed my speedo meter with orange scraches. Please see attached pic, can someone point me in right direction on how to fix this? The battery is fully charged now but I still see the scratches (digital scratches??)
Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by Boating; 03-11-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: duplicate photos
Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #2

From reading other posts about the gauge clusters there is not a repair kit out there to ix the LCD display. I am sure Particlewave will chime in soon. He seems to be the resident electrical guruon here.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #3

I had to replace my cluster because of this. Happened during a cold snap here in Houston. There is a repair kit out there for the AC display, but not the cluster (from my research this time last year).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #4

Thanks Guys, yes it happened after cold here in MD. I guess the best bet is look for Speedo Meter on Ebay
Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #5

Yup, that's where I found mine. Make sure you get one that came out of the same year model as your car, or the seller guarantees it will work on your model year. They do differ year to year.

BTW, there is a forum member who can reset the miles for you so it will be accurate. The stealership cannot do this for you. I also think Palo Alto speedometer in Cali will do it for you for some big bucks.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Think this is not the cluster itself. Think this is a bad polarization foil in front of the LCD cluster. You can try to repair that. Problem is to get the right foil to get exact the right orange color.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #7

Garage
YMMV, but I had this happen a couple of years ago after storing it for the winter in my unheated garage on a bare concrete floor. After I had done a bunch of reading, I suspect the cause is moisture. I didn't do anything about it over the following summer, but noticed that it *very slowly* got smaller and smaller. Eventually it disappeared completely. I've put a tarp over the concrete floor every subsequent winter before storage, and I haven't had any issues since.
pharaohjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

@pharaohjb:

I think it's a kind of moisture, or fluid between the polarization foil and the display glas. That would explain the pattern.

My first attempt would be to remove the polarization foil and clean the surface between the diplay glas and the foil.

Second ttempt would be to replace the foil, because maybe the polarization layer of the foil is damaged.

The LCD display itself looks OK.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
inveniam viam aut faciam

I have a cluster with a good LCD panel. I have repaired on a bunch of late 996/986 clusters, and that doesn't seem to be a common problem.

PM me if you would like to get it repaired.