Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 06:24 AM   #1

Garage
Help with Heater Core Replacement

Hi folks, I need to replace my heater core, which I hope to do this weekend. I found detailed instructions on how to do it, but not much information on how to "burp" the system afterwards. Anybody have any tips? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
i found that the best mathod is the one sujested by pedro.
1. Check whether the coolant shutoff valve is open.

2. Fill with coolant up to the bottom edge of the filler neck.

3. Run the engine at idle speed and top up with coolant until no more coolant flows into the cooling system when the engine is revved moderately. (Coolant level now at lies lower edge of filler neck.) The coolant temperature must not exceed 80°C; proceed directly to the next work step if necessary.

4. Close reservoir and warm engine up to operating temperature at a speed of -2500 rpm until the thermostat opens after approx. 10 minutes (coolant temperature -90°C).
Check: The radiator supply lines and return lines in the front wheel housings must be hot.

5. Allow engine to run an additional 5 minutes at ~ 2500 rpm. Every 30 seconds, briefly rev up the engine to -5000 rpm. RPM surges are important for proper bleeding.

6. Allow engine to run at idle speed until any activated radiator fans switch off again. Then switch off the engine. Open reservoir cap with extreme caution until the reservoir is de-pressurized (danger of scalding!).

7. Top up coolant expansion tank until level reaches lower edge of filler neck.

8. Reposition bow on bleeder shutoff valve, Unscrew oil cap.

9. Put on cover and body seal. Screw on both caps.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
i found that the best mathod is the one sujested by pedro.

1. Check whether the coolant shutoff valve is open.

2. Fill with coolant up to the bottom edge of the filler neck.

3. Run the engine at idle speed and top up with coolant until no more coolant flows into the cooling system when the engine is revved moderately. (Coolant level now at lies lower edge of filler neck.) The coolant temperature must not exceed 80°C; proceed directly to the next work step if necessary.

4. Close reservoir and warm engine up to operating temperature at a speed of -2500 rpm until the thermostat opens after approx. 10 minutes (coolant temperature -90°C).

Check: The radiator supply lines and return lines in the front wheel housings must be hot.

5. Allow engine to run an additional 5 minutes at ~ 2500 rpm. Every 30 seconds, briefly rev up the engine to -5000 rpm. RPM surges are important for proper bleeding.

6. Allow engine to run at idle speed until any activated radiator fans switch off again. Then switch off the engine. Open reservoir cap with extreme caution until the reservoir is de-pressurized (danger of scalding!).

7. Top up coolant expansion tank until level reaches lower edge of filler neck.

8. Reposition bow on bleeder shutoff valve, Unscrew oil cap.

9. Put on cover and body seal. Screw on both caps.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote