Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Yes...and remember in the thread I started on liner vents and how to exhaust into the wheel well and when I said okay how about slots/lovers facing outboard? Had a look at 981 the other day and guess what I saw?
That's what I was thinking, vent it out of the wheel well altogether. The tire wouldn't conflict. The shield at the back of the rad ducts it that way already and there will be no increase in dirt/water reaching the rad.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #42

The leading edge of this topic would seem to be utilizing airflow THROUGH the body to IMPROVE performance- Ferrari F12(??), BMW etc. And then there's active aero- I'd love to alter airflow to the outer vents based on coolant temps...
Old 02-15-2015, 04:12 AM   #43

Anyone have pics of the GT2 or GT3 Cup liners?
I came across this DIY that makes reference to them, but I'd like to see the originals for myself.
http://www.specr53.com/blog/2015/01/08/996-front-brake-ducts-radiator-cleaning/
Old 02-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #44

i'd done some research into this previously with the intent to use oem parts on the car. oem would be cool, especially because the part that blocks the airflow out the bottom is also part of the fender liner, so I was hoping that one part would (a) direct the flow into the wheel well, and (b) block flow out the bottom of the bumper cover negating the need for all those flaps that tear-off every 15 seconds).

as noted, the 996 GT2 and TT both have vented fender liners (as does the 997). the problem is, I don't *think* they work on the 986/996 because they are wide-bodied cars so the front end is different (unlike the 986 and narrow-bodied 996 compatibility). at one point I thought that i'd found some GT3 part #s that worked, but I think I was wrong. easiest (and cheapest) is to do what the gt3 guys (and jfro) did - drill some holes. given that the fender liners are a relatively soft plastic, you could most likely press vents into them to get some directional flow if you so desired.

as far as the centre vent goes, i'm going to check to see if I can get it to vent into the wheel well as well - there is a channel that the coolant pipes run in that would allow air to pass from the back of the third rad direct onto the brake rotors with a few artfully placed openings - you would just need to make it follow that path by blocking the front bumper cover bottom openings.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #45

That's a neat idea but that area is already full of rads, hoses and brackets. Have you had a corner rad out of the car?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #46

Since the 986 and the 996 have a great deal of commonality, I have wanted to try fitting 996T liners for a while now (I would image GT2's would be far to expensive). I believe the T part number is: 99650412400 (one side). Will they fit??

I believe the GT2 bumper actually sealed the bottom rad exhausts and the 996T had open bottom rad vents, while both had liner vents. So you would likely have still make bottom panels to seal the bottom (provided cooling is adequate).

Here are some visuals:

997:

Maybe those that are not in the frozen north can give this a try after a trip to the local dismantler!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #47

i recall now why i didn't do the mod - cost. the standard 996 wheel well liner post -02 is vented:

Linings 02- For Wheel Housing

since they don't have different part #s for the c2 (narrow body) and c4 (wide body, similar to gt3, tt, gt2) then the standard 996 part should work fine. problem is, they are two piece liners, one at $136 and the other at $189; you are looking at $650 for both sides. better just a hole saw. ps, looking at the 996 liner, it vents two ways - into the wheel well as well as down.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #48

Ouch...I feared as much. I would just use the important front piece .....hope it does not interfere with the rest

Last edited by jaykay; 02-18-2015 at 12:03 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #49

well well well ...

Pelican Porsche Tech Article - Modifying Your Wheelwell Liners - Porsche 911 Carrera & Boxster - Porsche 996 Carrera (1998-2005)
Old 02-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #50

and there's this interesting little graphic courtesy porsche itself:

Old 02-19-2015, 01:43 AM   #51
Rennzenn

Garage
I'm surprised that they are not blocking off the original air exits in front of the wheels.
Just for kicks, has anyone got a way to manually turn on the fans besides using the AC?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:01 AM   #52

the 997 moves all the air through the fender liner, the 996 .2 series appear to split it between fender liner and down

for fans, here's the best link i've found:

High speed fan relay hack/mod - 996 Series (Carrera, Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Targa) - RennTech.org Forums
Old 02-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #53

[QUOTE=The Radium King;436893]the 997 moves all the air through the fender liner,

...and directs it with fins angled OUT of the wheel well just as the upper blue air flow indicator shows- this decreases front lift. The lower arrow indicates air flowing from under the bumper cover being directed into and through the rotor by the trailing arm deflector.