Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #1

2002 Boxster Key ignition problem

Hi all
Just joined the forum
I'm from Sydney Australia
I have read the discussions about the faulty electrical key ignition switch on 2002 Boxster
My question is i have simliar problems on my Boxster.key is difficult to insert and remove.steering lock not working.remote will not unlock/lock car
When you start it the starter motor runs on unless you turn the key back
It does not seem to sit in the correct position
I am told i can order the Audi part which is the same
Will an Audi dealer in Australia be able to do this using part no
4AO 905 849?
Is there anywhere else i can get the part locally?
THANKS
LOOK FOWARD TO ANY ASSISTANCE

andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:24 AM   #2

Garage
See links in post #5 of this thread:

OEM or Aftermarket for ignition switch?

An Audi dealer should be able to perform a cross reference from the Porsche part number.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #3

Andy...
You can get the switch (part # 4A0 905 849 B) from an Audi dealer but they will charge you +/-$130.00 for it - that's what they quoted me, you may have better luck in Sydney.

I bought mine (+ a spare) from a local supplier in Qld, the switch is made by bbr automotive, Germany.
If you have the time, getting a couple of switches via the internet from the US (Pelican Parts) or the UK (www.design911.cm) is the cheapest option.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
There is also a VW part that is the same and costs less than even the Audi part
Do a search here and probably on renlist in the 996 and 986 forums for more detail
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #5

03 Boxster ignition switch

Thanks for the reply
I actually work for sn Audi dealer so should be able to get at cost
With the symtoms i described do you think it is the switch?
I'm locking the car with the key but it does not lock passenger door
Also cannot get into the boot as the internal switch is broken
Previously i used the remote
One think i did notice when lockingtne drivers door the horn beeps to confirm the dooris locked
This never hapoened when the remote was working
Any chance itcould be a fuse?
Cheets
Andy
Old 01-24-2015, 03:25 AM   #6

Whether or not the ignition switch is causing "all" the other issues, I'm not a 100% certain, but it does sound like you have at least a faulty ignition switch for sure. Logically, my next step would be to replace the ignition switch and go from there. Since it won't cost you much, that's something most people would advise you to do anyways as preventative maintenance before it completely fails. Also, the alarm should not beep while locking the car- beeping indicates one of the switches has remained open, could be the door in your case. Also check the compartment between the seats to make sure that is closed completely. Good luck!
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:04 AM   #7

Thanks for all the replies
I noticed if i jiggle the key i then can get the key to work properly
The remote works fine when locking
Only trouble is when i drive off and turn the car off the problem starts again
If the key goes in smoothly when you start th car starter motor r uns on
You have to move the key back to prevent this
Steering lock still not working.
I will replace the switch
Someone felt behind the ignition and said the switch was very loose
Still feel it might be the barrel
What does the replacement of the barrel entail?
Can a locksmith do this?

Regards
Andy
Old 01-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #8

Garage
A bad electrical portion of the switch can produce a remarkable variety of issues. Replace that portion and your problems will most likely go away. Locking the driver's door should not cause the horn to beep; your center console lid is unlatched or there's another open switch in the circuit. First things first: replace the electrical portion.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Andy...
You can get the switch (part # 4A0 905 849 B) from an Audi dealer but they will charge you +/-$130.00 for it - that's what they quoted me, you may have better luck in Sydney.

I bought mine (+ a spare) from a local supplier in Qld, the switch is made by bbr automotive, Germany.
If you have the time, getting a couple of switches via the internet from the US (Pelican Parts) or the UK (www.design911.cm) is the cheapest option.
Hi Steve who is the supplier in QLD
Can you send ne details please?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #10

Sorry for the delay, installing a new kitchen at the moment and up to my eyes in renovations.

Ring Blitz Autoworx, Tel (07) 5477 0092 - speak to Stefan or Alf, both German techs, they will be able to send you a switch or advise.

PM sent

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 01-27-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #11

Beeping when locking was a sign that my door lock switch was not working. Replaced door lock mechanism and problem solved. Can be pricey if done by a shop. As I remember the whole latch assembly had to be replaced as a unit. The units were indicating a fault in the alarm system. I can't remember but I think I got fault w the Durametric indicating an alarm fault.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 PM   #12

03 Boxster ignition switch fixed but need a key?

Great advise ref the switch.
Replaced it and all my problems solved
Thanks to everyones contribution

I do have one question
Where can i get a replacement key blade with body?
I have purchased 2 on ebay from different suppliers
Both of the blades don't fit securely in the body
I only have one key with the transponder so i need a key that won't let me down
Thanks again
Old 02-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #13

Garage
I have a 2001 Boxster S.

(1) I recently replaced the radio with a Pioneer single-din deck and it works, and sounds, great. I noticed that after the deck replacement, the horn would beep each time I locked the doors. Should I be concerned about this?

Three weeks later. . . .

(2) My ignition no longer "clicks" when I remove the key after driving the vehicle. Previously, I would hear a "click" shortly after removing the key. I am concerned that this is evidence of a faulty ignition switch. I garaged the vehicle, opened the front-trunk, and put a trickle charger on the battery to ensure future use. Do you think I have a faulty ignition switch?

Thanks everyone for your advice.
tommy24689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:02 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy24689 View Post
I have a 2001 Boxster S.

(1) I recently replaced the radio with a Pioneer single-din deck and it works, and sounds, great. I noticed that after the deck replacement, the horn would beep each time I locked the doors. Should I be concerned about this?

Three weeks later. . . .

(2) My ignition no longer "clicks" when I remove the key after driving the vehicle. Previously, I would hear a "click" shortly after removing the key. I am concerned that this is evidence of a faulty ignition switch. I garaged the vehicle, opened the front-trunk, and put a trickle charger on the battery to ensure future use. Do you think I have a faulty ignition switch?

I believe that the horn going off after locking the car is a warning indicating something is not closed or left open or on. I too have just installed a Pioneer single din that works perfectly as well and also noticed that the horn would beep when locking the car with the remote. Prior to this, I had and still do have a problem with my horn not working properly. Started out as an intermittent problem, working only when the ignition key was in the off position, and now it doesn't work at all. Thanks to this forum, the problem with my horn points to a bad ignition switch which at some point I will attempt to replace in hopes that it will fix the horn problem. Having the horn beep isn't so bad when locking the door and something I can live with. Not having a working horn is a real problem and hope that replacing the ignition switch is going to fix it.

Last edited by eacallo986; 02-08-2015 at 02:05 AM. Reason: remove a word
eacallo986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy24689 View Post
I have a 2001 Boxster S.

Three weeks later. . . .

The stock radio has ground wires on the old chassis that needs to be grounded again with the new radio. It needs to be grounded for your alarm to work correctly again.

antny is offline   Reply With Quote