Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
98 Boxster

Emergency brake does not click and lock

I brought home a '98 Boxster last night and I so excited about it however it does have a few minor problems I need to address. First and foremost is the emergency brake not locking. It's not a big deal except the '98 model requires the parking brake to be engaged in order to put the top down. The button is fully depressed and doesn't pop out. Any ideas on what the fix here is?

Roxshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Have you tried to just pry it out with a screwdriver or something? It may just be stuck. If you pop it out and there's no spring action (button stays in when depressed again), you may have a broken spring.

There really is no way to open up the e-brake to repair a broken button mechanism, so will probably just have to be replaced. Replacing the e-brake is fairly simple once you remove the center console.

If needed, contact member "itsnotanova" for a replacement e-brake. He parts out a lot of these cars in the classified forum and I'm sure he has one. His prices are also the best in the world!
Old 01-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
98 Boxster

I just went out in the garage and was able to pry the button out and then it worked so it looks like the spring is toast. I'll work on locating at full assembly.
Great advice thank you!

Last edited by Roxshot; 01-18-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Roxshot is offline   Reply With Quote