Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #1

Blowdryer vs. Heatgun

I'm taking off the Boxster emblem on the trunk and replacing it with 986 emblem. Can I use a decent blowdryer or do I have to invest in a heat gun? This is a $20 emblem changout so I would hate to invest more in a heat gun but if I have to...

2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
I'm taking off the Boxster emblem on the trunk and replacing it with 986 emblem. Can I use a decent blowdryer or do I have to invest in a heat gun? This is a $20 emblem changout so I would hate to invest more in a heat gun but if I have to...
Hi,

You should be OK, but it will take longer. It would help if first, you directed the blast from the blow dryer on the underside of the Trunk, then to the top. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #3

MNB, Nice tip thanks. I saw somewhere where dental floss slid underneath will work it away from paint. Also, once I get it off I imagine there will be some glue left on the paint. What is best to use to take off glue and clean it up to accept new emblem? Mineral spirits or something stronger?
2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Old 03-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
MNB, Nice tip thanks. I saw somewhere where dental floss slid underneath will work it away from paint. Also, once I get it off I imagine there will be some glue left on the paint. What is best to use to take off glue and clean it up to accept new emblem? Mineral spirits or something stronger?
Hi,

You can use Dental Floss or some monofilament fishing line to get the adhesive foam to give way.

To remove any residue, I would recommend PrepSol. PrepSol is used by Body Shops to degrease and prepare a panel for painting. It is inexpensive and has a 1000 uses from the task at hand, to removing Wax, Tar, and Bugs. It works well for removing road film from the windshield and side glass, and most importantly, it will not harm the paint. You can find it at any Auto Body Supply Store. I always have a bottle on hand, have been using it for years. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:54 AM   #5

The emblem can also be removed by using a handgun. Whoops, wrong thread !

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 03-28-2006 at 07:02 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #6

One of these days I am going to replace the "Boxster" emblem on my car (broken and repaired tail on the "B"). I have a heat gun that I got for removing floor tile. It has two heat settings, 700 deg and Really Hot. I am nervous about directing a blast of 700 deg air at the paint. What do you guys think?
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #7

I use a two-stage heat gun as you are describing in my organization to shrink wrap books I ship out. I wouldn't take that thing near my boxster on either setting. It's just not designed for that purpose IMO.

Patiently use a hair dryer and dental floss... burning your paint will cost you a lot more time and money, I assure you! Ask a friend to keep the heat on the emblem with the hair dryer while you floss through it.

Simple risk management, eh?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #8

Thanks. Good tips!

Hey SD987, LOL! That was too funny. I kinda wondered how that whole "gun" thing was gonna play out...

2003 MBenz ML350 SUV