986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Blowdryer vs. Heatgun (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5526-blowdryer-vs-heatgun.html)

Hoosier 03-27-2006 04:35 PM

Blowdryer vs. Heatgun

I'm taking off the Boxster emblem on the trunk and replacing it with 986 emblem. Can I use a decent blowdryer or do I have to invest in a heat gun? This is a $20 emblem changout so I would hate to invest more in a heat gun but if I have to...

MNBoxster 03-27-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoosier
I'm taking off the Boxster emblem on the trunk and replacing it with 986 emblem. Can I use a decent blowdryer or do I have to invest in a heat gun? This is a $20 emblem changout so I would hate to invest more in a heat gun but if I have to...

Hi,

You should be OK, but it will take longer. It would help if first, you directed the blast from the blow dryer on the underside of the Trunk, then to the top. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Hoosier 03-27-2006 04:48 PM

MNB, Nice tip thanks. I saw somewhere where dental floss slid underneath will work it away from paint. Also, once I get it off I imagine there will be some glue left on the paint. What is best to use to take off glue and clean it up to accept new emblem? Mineral spirits or something stronger?

MNBoxster 03-27-2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoosier
MNB, Nice tip thanks. I saw somewhere where dental floss slid underneath will work it away from paint. Also, once I get it off I imagine there will be some glue left on the paint. What is best to use to take off glue and clean it up to accept new emblem? Mineral spirits or something stronger?

Hi,

You can use Dental Floss or some monofilament fishing line to get the adhesive foam to give way.

To remove any residue, I would recommend PrepSol. PrepSol is used by Body Shops to degrease and prepare a panel for painting. It is inexpensive and has a 1000 uses from the task at hand, to removing Wax, Tar, and Bugs. It works well for removing road film from the windshield and side glass, and most importantly, it will not harm the paint. You can find it at any Auto Body Supply Store. I always have a bottle on hand, have been using it for years. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

SD987 03-28-2006 06:54 AM

The emblem can also be removed by using a handgun. Whoops, wrong thread !

Ronzi 03-28-2006 08:18 AM

One of these days I am going to replace the "Boxster" emblem on my car (broken and repaired tail on the "B"). I have a heat gun that I got for removing floor tile. It has two heat settings, 700 deg and Really Hot. I am nervous about directing a blast of 700 deg air at the paint. What do you guys think?

RandallNeighbour 03-28-2006 09:46 AM

I use a two-stage heat gun as you are describing in my organization to shrink wrap books I ship out. I wouldn't take that thing near my boxster on either setting. It's just not designed for that purpose IMO.

Patiently use a hair dryer and dental floss... burning your paint will cost you a lot more time and money, I assure you! Ask a friend to keep the heat on the emblem with the hair dryer while you floss through it.

Simple risk management, eh?

Hoosier 03-28-2006 10:41 AM

Thanks. Good tips!

Hey SD987, LOL! That was too funny. I kinda wondered how that whole "gun" thing was gonna play out... :cheers: