Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Wheel Spacer Safe Size Range?

Seems I've read on here that spacers cause extra stress on the Axle Shaft?

I'm looking at possibly having to go with 20mm spacers according to this offset calculator.

I'm wanting to run 275/30R19 tires on 19x10.5 wheels with a 46 offset on the rear.

Is there a safe limit on the size of spacer used or all they all bad for the Axle Shaft?

Thanks!

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #2

As far as I know? Porsche only sold lug bolts long enough to accommodate 7mm spacers.

IF.. IF I have to run spacers on any of my cars? We use Tarett screw in LONG studs which can accommodate up to a 22mm spacer. Typically? we do it correctly and have wheels made to properly fit the car, and not try to run 996/997 wheels.. with a 20+mm spacers. I know what TireRack likes to sell..

As far as "axle/wheel bearing issues?" Pure BS. I have maintained/been involved with the fastest AutoX Boxster's CA. has to offer (which are much harder on wheels bearings and the such than some of my track customers) and.. we run 20-24 events a year.. My fast guy? 20mm spacers behind OZ wheels from a 996.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

This is the bullet nose race stud from Tarett. Notice we have a 5mm spacer behind this stock wheel (these wheels are for running around on the street)

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at going with a spacer with lug bolts from these guys.

2003 Porsche Boxster Roadster S H6 3.2L Wheels Spacers - 001366ECS20KT - ECS Wheel Spacer Kit - 20mm - ES#2702493

Old 12-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

I'm not a fan of that method... but unless you plan to track it with the 19's? Run them. I'm sure they will work just fine for a street car.

When speaking with ECS? (Don't just order them online) ASK THEM how many they have sold? Do they have any feedback from their customers?

I hate lug bolts with a passion.. but we are also changing wheels/tires at track events sometimes 2-3 times each day. Lug bolts make my scenario a PITA.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Pure street car, no tracking, except the occasional spirited sprints through some curvy back roads. This will be my summer set of wheels and tires, so I shouldn't be taking them on and off except for seasonal changes.

Found out the seller on the wheel I wanted can't get them in 10.5x 19". I've been looking around and am having a hard time finding some rear wheels for my 2003 Boxster S in that size.

I want to run 235/35R19 (wheel width 8.5") on the front and 275/30R19 in the rear to keep the tire diameters as close as possible. 10.5" wheel width is supposed to be the ideal size for the 275/30R19 tires. The wheels I was looking at , only come in 9.5x19" or 11x19" for the rears. If I went with the 9.5" wheel I would have to run 265/30R19 in the rear and 225/35R19 in the front. I currently run 225's on the front right now and would like to go a little wider.

Can you recommend a good place to look for some 10.5x19" rear wheels for my Boxster?

Thanks for your feedback.