Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #1

Porsche Boxster Sports Exhauts System

I recently had the PSE installed in my 2000 Boxster. Is any else that could be done to get a more powerfull sound ???

DNatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #2

How does it sound? Do you pick up any horsepower at all with PSE Exhaust? I am thinking about having this done to my '01
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #3

Regarding PSE

After having it installed: in person the car has a more agressive and powerfull look. I'm very satisfied with the over all look of the product. As far as horsepower gains not too much of a difference, but that is because I baby my Porsche. The sound is deeper and throatier under heavy load, very intoxicating sound. Much better sounding exhaust unit than stock unit. Awsome looking pipes from the rear of the car and make the back of the car stand out from other Porsches on the road. I went with this product because it best suits the natural set up of the motor, with research showing that certain exhaust systems can have a negative effect on the horsepower. I would purchase this unit again but would shop around for intallation cost because it varies in cost and where you go to have it done. I was told that it should be expected to be atleast 2-3 hours of labor involved in the instalation of the exhaust. Happy exhaust hunting.
DNatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #4

My sound is a little agressive but it sounds sick, here are some vids:

http://media.putfile.com/1st-through-3rd-while-holding-camera

http://media.putfile.com/Cruising-in-6th-gear-on-last-run

http://media.putfile.com/KRZ-doing-some-90-degree-turns

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust

Last edited by KRZTACO; 04-19-2006 at 09:12 AM.
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #5

> Is any else that could be done to get a more powerfull sound ???

Yep de-snork the intake. Will not do anything for you exhaust sound but I have PSE and de-snorked the intake and the combination is very, very, very good soundwise.

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #6

krztaco - you're de-snorkled or just exhaust? If de-snorkled - anything special you do when you wash the car the avoid probs? Drive the car in the rain at all? Probs?

I know it's not exactly the same, but if you can recall the heavy rain that hit about 2 yrs ago here in soCal - well a few days after that rain I was in the local VW dealership and they had 3 'teenage-owned' heavily modified GTI's on the service rack, all with $10-15K engine damage secondary to the cold air intake placed behind the bumper. Each car took on water into the engine - remember one of the dad's yelling and screaming cuz the dealership wasn't going to cover it under warranty - hope he atleast stopped giving his brat an allowance for a couple of weeks!

Anyway, I'm itching to de-snorkel my 987 (wife says no more money on the car for a while!), but don't want to if you really have to be overly careful about washing it or driving it in the rain.
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #7

I have driven my 986S year round, about 15,000 miles, in Chicago with absolutely no problems. Funny...the snorkel on the 986 in cupped at the end...like a bowl. You would have thought water could build up in there and then enter the system...but this never happens.

The problem with those "cold air intakes" is the filter is moved very close to the ground. When you go through a puddle of water it sucks it up. Many manufacturers are now selling, as an option, a safety device you add to the track of the intake...made of foam. When water is sucked into the intake the suction is broken and air is pulled through from the foam. The water is then released back to earth.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
krztaco - you're de-snorkled or just exhaust? If de-snorkled - anything special you do when you wash the car the avoid probs? Drive the car in the rain at all? Probs?

I know it's not exactly the same, but if you can recall the heavy rain that hit about 2 yrs ago here in soCal - well a few days after that rain I was in the local VW dealership and they had 3 'teenage-owned' heavily modified GTI's on the service rack, all with $10-15K engine damage secondary to the cold air intake placed behind the bumper. Each car took on water into the engine - remember one of the dad's yelling and screaming cuz the dealership wasn't going to cover it under warranty - hope he atleast stopped giving his brat an allowance for a couple of weeks!

Anyway, I'm itching to de-snorkel my 987 (wife says no more money on the car for a while!), but don't want to if you really have to be overly careful about washing it or driving it in the rain.

Mine is de-snorkelled, I don't spray water into the intake, plus there is still a "grill" deflecting water as it enters AND it must still go through the filter. I'm not really worried about it. The "snorkel" plastic piece looks like it's more for sound deadening purposes.

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote