Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #1

Garage
Potential issue with the rear brakes

I have a potential issue with my rear brakes on my 2000 Boxster Base that I am trying to diagnose. Ive been driving short distances of about 3-7 miles in the car and every time I stop I hear the crackling of heated metal coming from the rear brakes(Both Sides). I put my hand on the rim and I felt radiant heat but given that is near the engine and exhaust that may not mean much. When letting off the gas at low speeds I do feel immediate resistance in the car kinda like driving with the parking brake on or like the car has an engine brake. There are no noises of the pads dragging and the brake pedal has a very good response. I dont know if its the exhaust im hearing or if I need to start replacing brakes. It was serviced by the previous owner 2 weeks ago and supposedly everything was fine. From the maintenance record the brakes were last done 2 years ago and I have no record of the rotors being changed. The vehicle is currently at 88k miles.

jhiggi83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #2

Feel the rotor cold and see how much difference is there between the outer edge of the flat surface of the rotor (the area not contacted by the pads) and the middle of the flat area where the pads contact? That should tell you how old the rotors are. A dealer would measure both with a caliper and compare to the Porsche supplied tolerances .

It would be unusual for the rotors not to have been changed at least once in 88k miles. Mine were changed at 42k.

Any record of half-shaft rubber boots being replaced? Wheel bearings?

Manual? TIP?

Is this resistance with the clutch engaged?

How sure are you you have released the parking brake?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Feel the rotor cold and see how much difference is there between the outer edge of the flat surface of the rotor (the area not contacted by the pads) and the middle of the flat area where the pads contact? That should tell you how old the rotors are. A dealer would measure both with a caliper and compare to the Porsche supplied tolerances .

It would be unusual for the rotors not to have been changed at least once in 88k miles. Mine were changed at 42k.

Any record of half-shaft rubber boots being replaced? Wheel bearings?

Manual? TIP?

Is this resistance with the clutch engaged?

How sure are you you have released the parking brake?
No record of the wheel bearings or half shaft rubber boots being replaced. Its a tiptronic transmission and the parking brake level is completely released. I have the records from 61k to 88k.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Garage
Just went thru the records again and there has been no brake work in the last 28k miles other than a system flush. The previous owner drove it daily from santa monica to downtown LA. Im thinking I may just change the pads and roters to be safe
Old 12-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Hmm. Sounds like what you're describing is something like a sticky caliper or mis-adjusted parking brake or ....

Before replacing anything, I'd put the car in the air and see if all of the wheels rotate freely (in my book, the front wheels are also suspect until proven innocent). Then investigate from there.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote