Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #1

Puff of blue smoke

I have an 01 Boxster S with 67K miles on it. This is my first Porsche and I've only had it about six weeks. Upon cold start, after sitting for a couple of days, I get an initial puff of blue smoke out of the tailpipes and then it goes away completely. During normal operation no smoke at all or odor is present. In the old days I would have said valve guides but in an H motor the oil doesn't really sit on the guides with gravity trying to force the oil down into the combustion chamber.
My question is whether anybody else has this issue? Is it anything to worry about?
Thanks everybody.

bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #2

My car did the same thing for a while. When I had the time to look it ended up being my Air Oil Separator. Fairly easy to do at home! Switched it out to a new one I had at home and poof problem was gone!

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on your oil level. Try to get an idea how much oil is burning (if any).
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

After our cars sit for a few days, oil accumulates on the rings and you'll get this little puff of blue smoke upon startup. Nothing to be worried about.

Now if you get a cloud of blue smoke out the tailpipe that goes away when you take off the oil filler tube, you've got a broken air/oil separator (AOS).

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote