Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
more power!

Exactly.

But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
Everyone in the forum seems to be on HP race. Where on Earth are we going to unleash the full potential of the car, witout losing your license car etc?
In NY don't even bother because you are going to get nailed eventually. Boxster handles like no other car in the market and is super quick. Top speed over 160 miles and hour. Only the newer 911 can top that and again not by much. The 986-987 will outhandle everything thats out there. I my assesment spending over 20K for an engine conversion is rediculous and insane. I have a 2003 S. Its fast, looks great and handles superbly what else do we need? Yes I know more power!
I understand what you're saying, but where on public streets can you really exploit the boxster's handling without being reckless? I'm talking pushing it close to the limit...not a "spirited" ride at 8/10th's on some twisty backroad which is still dangerous IMO.. HP is not all about top speed. It's about acceleration more than anything. People want to accelerate quickly because they find it enjoyable and fun. They want to go from 50-70 quicker! ....not 0-170mph.

Last edited by Adam; 03-24-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #23

The great thing about America is that you can spend your money on pretty much anything you want!

Let the good times roll!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #24

986jim

His head gasket prolly didn't blow. My guess is valves...

Keepup did you lengthen the valve overlap at all? If not you would have peak compression WAY higher in the chamber than your set boost was supposed to provide.
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle
986jim

His head gasket prolly didn't blow. My guess is valves...

Keepup did you lengthen the valve overlap at all? If not you would have peak compression WAY higher in the chamber than your set boost was supposed to provide.
More overlap would reduce pressure in the combustion chamber as boost would be blown out the intake or exhaust valves depending on how you overlap the engine and where your dwell time is.

If you put a larger performance cam on a stock engine and you do a compression test before and after you will notice a drop in compression because of the larger overlap. On a VQ35 we tested from 230psi or so in each cyl to about 195-205 give or take with a set of larger cams.

The only way it's gonna pop is really bad tuning Ie NO fuel added for the charger with 6 psi of boost. Honestly thats childs play. I run 30psi on 117octane gas on my talon and lay over 500whp. I tune it on the fly at the track with a laptop and wideband now... I'm no professional tuner either (well I don't pay myself if thats what you wanna call it) and this is on a 4 cyl making 125whp per cylinder so tuning is fairly critical and it doesn't pop a HG ever.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #26

[QUOTE=986Jim]More overlap would reduce pressure in the combustion chamber as boost would be blown out the intake or exhaust valves depending on how you overlap the engine and where your dwell time is.

Yup. That's what I'm talking about...When we have seen VQ35 blown by sensible FI, most of the time the problem is valve timing...if you don't want cams, it can be tuned in, and should be to the limit of scavenging.
I mean surely the kit came with correct feul maps...
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The great thing about America is that you can spend your money on pretty much anything you want!

Let the good times roll!

Damn straight... I was considering an engine swap for my boxster last summer, but skipped my slot this winter. I was actually lined up with Rooke for a 3.8 swap, not FVD, as Georgia was easier access for me from DC. Im now taking that cash and at the end of this summer (06), am going to look for a 2 year old low mileage turbo cab. I want the power and the awd, but I am going to miss the mid engine.

Finances aside, the other reason I made this decision was Rooke kept telling me they were having problems with broken drivetrains on the 3.8. I drive my cars for all their worth, and I dont want to worry. Next summer I guess my dogs can sit in the back as we cross the century mark on 95

5thtonbench is offline   Reply With Quote