Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #1

A different oil level question

Building a 986S 3.2 track car (not spec class). Tossed the OEM coolant tank/oil fill/dipstick gizmo. Want to install a dipstick right onto the top of the engine (won't be running the engine cover), will use a flexible dipstick similar to the Lokar product, either extending the existing metal portion of the dipstick housing tube or replacing that entire tube.

Need to know what correct level of oil inside the crankcase would be, relative to some hard point inside the crankcase such as the bottom of the crankcase casting, or the oil pump flange.

To complicate further, will be using a sump extension, windage tray, baffles, external oil cooler and Accusump, so telling me how many quarts the stock engine takes won't help.

Anybody know the answer to this or have a car with the sump pan off so they could visually confirm the correct point on the dipstick relative to the bottom of the crankcase casting?

I talked to the legendary Pedro about this a while back and he said he wasn't sure but thought it might be about 1/3 above the bottom of the IMS bearing. Would sure like to get a better answer!

Thx.

captzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #2

Garage
This is pretty complicated so I will type even slower than I usually do. 1st install your sump plate extension. While the sump plate is off measure how much the dipstick protrudes from the end of the tube. Now do whatever you want to do with the oil filler/dipstick gizmo. Finish all modifications. Reinsert dipstick in engine mounted tube, if it protrudes lower than before, cut off to the oem length + thickness of the sump spacer you are installing.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #3

Will you be installing any sort or firewall ? An open engine at your back on a race car= bad if you have an oil leak and fire.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

follow up

Hi, what did you end up doing?
I'm planning the same thing, a dipstick directly on top of the engine, I was thinking to machine a new one out of aluminum and insert it as far as it will go then adjust the cap to that and while filling quart by quart marking lines on the dipstick until I get to 9 quarts, I'm assuming the first few quarts may not read on the dipstick or maybe they will not sure. for you guys that have opened one of this engines, you don;t thing that the new custom dipstick would hit or interfere with anything inside if it is longer than stock?

stelan is offline   Reply With Quote