Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Garage
Oil cooler

Has any one installed remote oil cooler in their Boxster. If you have was it a kit. Where is it located? Where was it purchased

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #2

I think one of the biggest problems with a remote oil cooler in a Boxster is the positioning.

There's not a lot of room anywhere in the engine bay and fitting the cooler at the front of the car near the radiators would drop the oil pressure too low for the engine to survive.

On our ROW cars without the secondary air injection pump there is a little more room, but not enough to lower the oil temps significantly to make it a viable proposition.
Porsche must have got the idea of installing the original oil / water heat transfer unit because there wasn't anywhere else to put a cooler without major mods to bodywork or major components.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Has any one installed remote oil cooler in their Boxster. If you have was it a kit. Where is it located? Where was it purchased
Biggest issue is where to put it and can the pump handle the distance. Up front would be ideal, but the oil pump won't like that, and there is little useful space near the engine.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #4

Garage
Could there be any value boxing and insulating the oil cooler and ducking in outside air
Old 09-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks I've been under the car for the last 3 day trying to see where or if one could be installed. I've pretty much came to the same conclusion. Is there any difference in the 996/997 and the Boxster S. engine mounted heat exchanger cooler.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 09-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #6

I swapped out my Muffler for a Borla Sport exhaust.

I'm thinking there might be room on both sides near the cats for a
oil cooler and a tranny cooler. I've considered two smaller ones
that air cooled with "PC" fans.

I might delete the cats and that might free up some space as well

There might be some space now between the tranny and the exhaust tips.

Don't really love any of that space due to proximity to the exhaust and the
residual heat from that area. It does keep oil lines to a minimum

I've also considered some modification to a rear decklid mount or fixed spoiler with an oil cooler built in, but the plumbing gets longer and trickier.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks I've been under the car for the last 3 day trying to see where or if one could be installed. I've pretty much came to the same conclusion. Is there any difference in the 996/997 and the Boxster S. engine mounted heat exchanger cooler.
The original base oil cooler is about 1/2 the size of the "S" engine cooler:

The larger oil cooler is one of the best $200 you can spend as it make a major difference in oil temps as well as life. The larger cooler will just clear the intake manifold on 986's, but not all of the 987's.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Could there be any value boxing and insulating the oil cooler and ducking in outside air
Not really, these coolers are oil/water coolers, air flow doesn't enter into it; but lowering your coolant temps (read 160F stat) does make a difference.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-03-2014 at 08:55 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The original base oil cooler is about 1/2 the size of the "S" engine cooler:

The larger oil cooler is one of the best $200 you can spend as it make a major difference in oil temps as well as life. The larger cooler will just clear the intake manifold on 986's, but not all of the 987's.
I am using the S model part #99610702557, is the 996/997 model larger part #99710702500

Last edited by jsceash; 09-03-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
I am using the S model part #99610702557, is the 996/997 model larger part #99710702500
No.............