Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #1

1ST Gear Help Please

I just picked up a brand new 05 boxster and am finding that at times it doesn't want to go into first gear? I'm taking it in but was wondering if this is fairly common? When it won't go into first, if I start to release the clutch, then it slips in no problem....first stick car so any tips/info is greatly appreciated....

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #2

that's not uncommon. you are doing the right thing by releasing / pressing the clutch and then trying again.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #3

Like insite said, that's common. If you start having trouble getting it into gear even after letting the clutch out a little then you have a problem. You'll probably experience it in reverse too.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
All the manuals I have driven are like this,Porsches,Volkswagens,Toyotas. Putting on a short shift kit makes it worse.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #5

This is not common to manuals and is defective and specific to certain 05 987s with the 5-speed.

I know the exact lock-out phenomenon (neutral-first) you're talking about and have commented on it previously. The problem manifests itself in certain instances of the new Japanese manual tranny in the 05s.

There is a TSB out on this, where the dealer replaces the shift template but from what I've read, this doesn't always fix the defect.

From what I've been able to determine, the tranny doesn't like the way you're working the clutch/gas pedal (franky, you're shifting sloppily) and proceeds to lock you out, the next time you shift neutral-first. I rarely have this problem anymore as I concentrate more on my technique, but if you're sloppy it will repeatedly lock you out.

I'm preparing a more specific technique post to follow-up my previous post from awhile back, but in the interim you might find some relief by going:

Shifter from neutral-first, then push clutch in, then push into first...instead of
Push clutch in, move shifter-first-into first as one move

Additionally:

When you're pushing into first, go towards your knee, just like Pop taught ya, instead of vaguely in the direction of first.

Like I said, there's more to fixing it than that...more details to follow.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #6

Hey SD987-Great Info! A couple of questions since I don't have a 987.

I know the '06 987 has electronic throttle control, is the clutch the same? Just wondering because you mentioned it "locks you out" and I've never heard of that with a manual tranny. Is it something I've just never experienced or something to do with the 987?
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #7

The Boxster is equipped with the revised 5-speed manual gearbox as standard. The final drive ratio has been adapted to the larger rear-wheel diameters. A new synchronization system has been introduced to increase shifting comfort.

All of the gears in the 5-speed and 6-speed manual gearboxes use synchronisers with a higher load-carrying capacity (implemented as a model improvement on the 2.7 litre Boxster (986) in 11/2003). As on the new Carrera the synchronisers for first and second gear have been given a wear-resistant carbon coating.

While in the Boxster synchronisation of 1st gear is now performed three times instead of once and twice instead of once for 2nd gear, synchronisation of 1st and 2nd gears in the Boxster S is now performed three times instead of twice. Third through sixth gears are now synchronised twice instead of once. The benefit of multiple synchronisations is also used in the new gearboxes to ensure a reduction in shift throw with the same shifting forces (in the appropriate
gears).

The proven cable-operated gearshift with two pull-push cables is used in the new Boxster models also. A shift throw reduction of 26 % in the 5-speed manual gearbox (standard on the Boxster) and 15 % in the 6-speed manual gearbox (standard on the Boxster S, optional on the Boxster) has been achieved on the new Boxster models while retaining the same ergonomic characteristics by moving the deflection point on the shift lever. The significant increase in the efficiency of the synchronisations has allowed the shifting forces at the gearshift to be kept the same or even reduced. On top of this play in the shift module under the shift lever has been reduced, resulting in a more precise gearshifting gate.

Both Boxster models use the same shift console. The proven double-mass flywheels for damping vibrations in the transmission caused by the engine have been retained in their familiar design for the new models. The new engines use the familiar singleplate dry clutches. In accordance with the change of materials in mid-2003, the clutch linings are lead-free. The contact pressure in the Boxster S has been adapted to the engine torque and the hub of the clutch plate adapted to the new transmission input shaft. However the Boxster S now also uses a plastic plate to optimise friction when the clutch is actuated. These measures have increased the durability of the clutch.

The upshot of all this, is that a rare defect seems to have been created in the 05 987 with 5 speed (obviously restricted to "base" model).

Yes, it's not something you've experienced until you've drive an 05 base with this problem and be thankful for that, since it's annoying as ****************.

You push the clutch in and move the shifter to the left to go into first, then when you try to push it into first it "locks you out" with the ferocity of a pre-Federline Britney Spears on a first date. Shifter won't budge until you release the clutch and try it a gain.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 03-13-2006 at 01:02 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #8

After dragracing a lot of my cars I find that first gear seems to get like this. I simply pop the tranny into second first then into 1st. It also gets rough into Reverse, so put it into second then reverse will also solve the problem. This may or may not fix your problem but may help give it a shot.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #9

try popping the throttle a little(500-800 rpm) while gently pushing against the gate. Should let you right trhough as the rpm's drop.
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
The upshot of all this, is that a rare defect seems to have been created in the 05 987 with 5 speed (obviously restricted to "base" model).

Yes, it's not something you've experienced until you've drive an 05 base with this problem and be thankful for that, since it's annoying as ****************.

You push the clutch in and move the shifter to the left to go into first, then when you try to push it into first it "locks you out" with the ferocity of a pre-Federline Britney Spears on a first date. Shifter won't budge until you release the clutch and try it a gain.
That has been my experience. The manual states that the short throw shifter (which I have) actually eccentuates this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle
try popping the throttle a little(500-800 rpm) while gently pushing against the gate. Should let you right trhough as the rpm's drop.
This is pretty much what I do. As an olde double clutcher (ever driven a twin stick 18 speed Road Ranger??) I hardly notice it anymore. It becomes second nature. When down shifting to 1st it is really helpful in road (racing) applications where keeping in 2nd just won't do! With a little 'love and affection' it goes right in, just stiffly is all.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:01 AM   #11

Thanks for the info

Wow, Ive been totally swamped and haven't had a chance to check on this again but thanks for all the feedback and tips. Good to know its not just my car. I have a ton of more questions so keep an eye out for me guys. I'll try to get a picture of the ride up......

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote