Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #1

boxster air maf replaced

Hi Guys,

I own a Porsche Boxter 1999 2.5.

2 days ago the car started to feel like it didnt have much power, and like when i put my foot down it moved much slower than it should and was sluggish.

I took it into my local Porsche fixers who without lproperly ooking at it said from experience its needs an air maf replacement and it happens often with these symptoms.

Anyway, got that done at a cost of £350 ish, and it seems better than the last couple of days but something just doesnt feel as good as before it had the problems. Maybe im just nitpicking, but i cant be sure - especially 3rd gear feels slower to pick up speed.

Any ideas - as its now the weekend i cant take it back to tha garage so unable to get a second opinon.

Anyone else had this done due to same symptoms and did it solve your problems?

Thanks

kingdoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #2

There are numerous posts on MAFs - you might want to do a search and see what comes up. MAF failure is pretty common.

Your experience seems to mirror mine. After the MAF replacement the vehicle ran fine for a few days and then got worse. What seems to happen is that a spark plug (or a few plugs) will foul when the MAF stops operating properly. In my case, they tried to clean the fouled plugs but it didn't work. I'd be willing to bet that you need a few new plugs.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #3

thanks mate

Thanks mate i appreciate your help.

I will complain to the garage then on Monday I know its much better now but still feels a tiny bit like something is worng. I suppose only i can tell as im used my car

is fixing plugs expensive parts/labour?
Did your problem get better once plugs were replaced?
Thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #4

Hi,

Plugs have an ability to clean themselves over time. If you can tolerate the poorer performance, this should ease over time.

But, if it's been 15k mi. or so since they were last changed, it's probably not a bad idea to swap them out as D*pete suggests...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #5

If it's something that "only you notice" then it might just be your brain playing tricks on you. Sometimes that happens after a vehicle is in the shop.

New plugs did work for me - but we're talking performance degradation that anyone would notice. They attempted to clean the plug but apparently it was too far gone.

Like MNB says, probably not a bad idea to get them replaced. No, it's not cheap if you have it done. Nothing on a Porsche is cheap if you have it done.....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #6

cheap

yep... i just learned that nothing on porsche is cheap

Any idea of approx cost of plug changes and of labour time to do this before i consider booking car in.

thx
Old 03-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #7

You really aught to do it yourself and save your pounds for cool mods. Read up on it, buy a floor jack and try it. We believe in you!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote