Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
fasted911

Send a message via AIM to fasted911
Exclamation boxster ims shaft

i just bought an ims shaft.i've heard about ims shaft failure.how the welds come on done and just spin and other internent horror stories.
question is that tap and drill right before timeing chain work?
has anyone done this and or what works.i need to enjoy my boxster after rebuild.

fasted911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
They are not welded, they are press fit. I've seen a video of installing a set screw, heard about putting in pins, and seen one failure where one came apart. I modified mine to keep the grease in the bearing and installed it. I run to redline every time I drive, multiple times. The set screws and pins ended up looking like one more thing to go wrong after I investigated it for awhile.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted911 View Post
i just bought an ims shaft.i've heard about ims shaft failure.how the welds come on done and just spin and other internent horror stories.
question is that tap and drill right before timeing chain work?
has anyone done this and or what works.i need to enjoy my boxster after rebuild.
LN Engineering used to offer a service to update the shaft to prevent this Give them a call.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
fasted911

Send a message via AIM to fasted911
thanks for the advice.did you drill holes at top and than 180' (below)right in the middle of head timeing chains gear.?
fasted911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

You've heard the stories, but has *anyone* showed you one? The one they showed you? did it slip because *something* else in the system LOCKED UP during engine failure and the gear had NOWHERE to go? but slip on the shaft?
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted911 View Post
thanks for the advice.did you drill holes at top and than 180' (below)right in the middle of head timeing chains gear.?
That's me. I have some youtube posts out there explaining why this should fix the problem and how to do it. Cheap and easy. Use a fully sealed IMS bearing with grease and with a full Viton seal. A good Nachi bearing fitting this bill can be had for 10 to 35 bucks. Get the $10 bearing it's the same one as the $35 one. I also saw a sealed ceramic that looked promising, but make sure you get the right type of ceramic. If, and that's a big if, the grease can be kept in the steel bearing it should be fine. That's why I went for high temp grease in a high temp full seal bearing (Viton) and relieved the pressure in the IMS. :dance: