Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Garage
Unhappy Still leaking

I have a 2003 Boxster. I have owned it for 2 1/2 months now.
When I first cleaned out the interior the carpet was very very wet
Soaked in fact. Drivers side only. Got it dryed out and had the local dealer blow
Out all the drains. In past rain showers carpet was moist. Heavy rain
Today and carpet is again wet but not nearly as bad as before, but still
Wet. sitting in drivers seat wet from middle of back engine cover to
Left edge. carpet is wetter the closer you get to the left edge. Any
Ideas on where to check now. Any pictures and advice would of great
Help to me. Thank you, jinx

Last edited by Jinx; 05-15-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

The classic leak locations are drains and damage to an area under the lid under which the top sits when in the down position. Lift up the top half way and look back there and see if the rubber gaskets and foam are all intact.

Also test each of the drains yourself with a quart of water. Pour in the area of the drain and see if it all comes out the bottom. Locations here.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #3

Garage
Has the rear window been replaced? Either way check to see if water is leaking in around the window.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #4

Garage
Just wanted to say thank you for your help. I'll work on it today
Jinx
Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Beginner

Garage
so I cleaned my drains in reverse, I used a wet dry vac to suck the junk out of the rear drains.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #6

I'm having the same problem on the passenger side, I blew out the drains, checked for tears, still leaking.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #7

mine likes to leak during and after rain the leak is from the seal at the top of the window both near the a-pillar and also at the point where the hinge is located above the window, where there is a seam in the weather stripping. if anyone has any suggestions other than buy a 911 coupe it would be appreciated. one solution I have found which works to drain it after rain it to lower and raise the top to allow any residual water to escape before driving.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

Cool Wet carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I have a 2003 Boxster. I have owned it for 2 1/2 months now.
When I first cleaned out the interior the carpet was very very wet
Soaked in fact. Drivers side only. Got it dried out and had the local dealer blow
Out all the drains. In past rain showers carpet was moist. Heavy rain
Today and carpet is again wet but not nearly as bad as before, but still
Wet. sitting in drivers seat wet from middle of back engine cover to
Left edge. carpet is wetter the closer you get to the left edge. Any
Ideas on where to check now. Any pictures and advice would of great
Help to me. Thank you, jinx
Hello Jinx
I had a very wet carpet. I took it out altogether for a while to see if I could track the leek down. The carpet sponge on the drivers side (UK) was full of water. There were 2 places I found were water was getting into the car. The obvious things to check first are the drain holes and to see if the water trays are not torn or have other holes in them. They were all fine on my car. At home I park on a bit of a slope. With the carpets out I was able to check for water after rain. Sure enough each time it rained I had water in the foot well and under the drivers seat. It took me a while to work out but the photos below will show you were the water was coming in and how I was able to stop it.

You can see the open area were the shock absorber is, well I decided to cover this with a flap of old inertube clipped under the rubber trim, I did this both sides. After doing this and waiting to see if I had cured the problem, I found that even after a really heavy rain storm no water came in from this side again. There was another area though that got wet too, that was the bottom of the drivers door on the inside carpet trim. I cured this by pushing a rubber tube down the drivers side door seal at the top, about 16" long. That did the trick for now, the springyness goes out of these rubber seals over time. No more wet door carpet trim. I will proberbly get a new drivers door seal in the near future, but this works ok for now. Hope some of this helps you.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Usercpy

Garage
You better take the carpet of, or it never dries....
This is the result if moist stay there for long period.
the leak was from soft top, crack between top and vinyl window from previus owner.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #10

Garage
Thumbs up

Just wanted to say thank you.

I also covered the shock tower
The leak has stopped.
Jinx
Old 07-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #11

Drill two good sized holed in the floorpan at the base of the wall. In front of the pinch weld let it drain..

We will be replacing floorpans in these cars in no time!! Just like the 911's and 914's!!

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote