Thread: Still leaking
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
derfo

Cool Wet carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I have a 2003 Boxster. I have owned it for 2 1/2 months now.
When I first cleaned out the interior the carpet was very very wet
Soaked in fact. Drivers side only. Got it dried out and had the local dealer blow
Out all the drains. In past rain showers carpet was moist. Heavy rain
Today and carpet is again wet but not nearly as bad as before, but still
Wet. sitting in drivers seat wet from middle of back engine cover to
Left edge. carpet is wetter the closer you get to the left edge. Any
Ideas on where to check now. Any pictures and advice would of great
Help to me. Thank you, jinx
Hello Jinx
I had a very wet carpet. I took it out altogether for a while to see if I could track the leek down. The carpet sponge on the drivers side (UK) was full of water. There were 2 places I found were water was getting into the car. The obvious things to check first are the drain holes and to see if the water trays are not torn or have other holes in them. They were all fine on my car. At home I park on a bit of a slope. With the carpets out I was able to check for water after rain. Sure enough each time it rained I had water in the foot well and under the drivers seat. It took me a while to work out but the photos below will show you were the water was coming in and how I was able to stop it.

You can see the open area were the shock absorber is, well I decided to cover this with a flap of old inertube clipped under the rubber trim, I did this both sides. After doing this and waiting to see if I had cured the problem, I found that even after a really heavy rain storm no water came in from this side again. There was another area though that got wet too, that was the bottom of the drivers door on the inside carpet trim. I cured this by pushing a rubber tube down the drivers side door seal at the top, about 16" long. That did the trick for now, the springyness goes out of these rubber seals over time. No more wet door carpet trim. I will proberbly get a new drivers door seal in the near future, but this works ok for now. Hope some of this helps you.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote