Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #1

Mercedes tapping noise???

Hey Guys,
I've been driving my dad's 2000 mercedes clk320 (auto w/ 107,000 miles) for the last week and heard a noise when I got home.Now,I would ask the mercedes forum but they are all morons,no offense if any of you have been there.The noise only happens between 1000-1300 rpms and its like a clicking or ticking noise.It's kind of like a wood pecker sound.I am not sure if it's from the engine or not but I put my head under the car when someone else held the gas and it seems to be coming from the middle of the car.

Let me add,I was coming back from Atlantic City and kept it around 90 the entire trip while hitting 112 at one point for about a second.

Does anyone know what it could be?
Frank

Last edited by Frank; 03-09-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #2

Just a wild guess, but it might need a valve adjustment or it's the lifters.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
bmussatti

Frank, you don't have very good luck with cars!

I don't know, low oil level, dirty lifter, lose heat sheild, wrong octane.

What's the speed limit out east??
Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #4

Speed limit was 65.The noise was never there before so I find it strange.Maybee it will heal its self,it is a mercedes after all.

I filled up with super 2 days ago and it seemed cheaper then it should have been and I was thinking maybee they made a mistake and put regular in but it didn't make any strange noises till now.They didn't give me a reciept so I am honestly not sure,

If that is the case,will it fix its self once the gas is replaced with super or could damage have been caused?
Frank

Last edited by Frank; 03-09-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #5

Clicking or ticking always sounds like valves to me - particularly with the miles stated. One thing to remember is that is that it always sounds "better" in the vehicle. You might want to get someone to rev the engine while you are outside of the vehicle - or drive it by you. If it's valves then it's entirely likely that the sound is there over a larger range then you think - you just can't hear it inside the vehicle over the sound of the engine at speed....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:56 AM   #6

Talking

Leading contenders would be in the valve trainin, timing chain (if MB uses one) or wrist pins. Could also be "piston slap."

Candidly, I would try an oil change and filter with a quality synthetic before I tore into the car.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #7

The oil was changed with synthetics about 2500 miles ago.Today,I jacked it up and got under and it seems to be the catalytic converters which you can see a picture of at http://www.********************************************************************************************/images/catalytic/MB2256.jpg . It is the thing that has 2 ovals side by side.It stops rattling for a little when you tap it and then it starts again.

So,hopefully that's all it is.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #8

Check out MNBoxster's advice on the catalytic converter:

This is driving me nuts..
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #9

I've had E-class, M-class, and C-class Benz in the last 3 years. There is a ticking that is normal to all. The key to the ticking is whether it changes with the engine rpm. These cars have a catalyst reclaimer valve. When the engine gets hot there is extra catalytic heat that need to be expelled. This valve opens and closes when needed to release that heat. When it is open it ticks and it does sound like a valve ticking. When the engine cools is stops ticking but again the real thing to watch out for is when you hear it ticking rev up the engine. If the ticking stays the same speed it is the normal valve working correctly. If the ticking increases speed with the rpms get this car in to the shop...or at least tell your father.
2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #10

Hi,

Good advice so far. To add to the list, it could be a Hydraulic Lifter gone south. A sustained high speed run such as you describe can be a prime breeding ground for this issue, especially on a 100k+ mi. engine.

But, as mentioned, this would produce an RPM variable noise. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #11

My father and I got the car up and he seems to agree that it is coming from the catalytic convertor and we can't find any loose bolts and the heat shield is secure.

Do you think there is a chance that over time it will work its way out or if we take that part off,could it be shaken out?

Thanks Everyone
Old 03-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
My father and I got the car up and he seems to agree that it is coming from the catalytic convertor and we can't find any loose bolts and the heat shield is secure.

Do you think there is a chance that over time it will work its way out or if we take that part off,could it be shaken out?

Thanks Everyone
Hi,

If you believe it's a collapsed Matrix in the Cat, then it will probably work itself out the tailpipe with time, but it will diminish the Cat's operation. This could trigger a CEL (on an OBDII Car) or a failed emissions test...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:43 AM   #13

Does the sound increase and decrease with RPM? You say it's between 1000-1300rpm. If you rev from 1000 to 1300 in neutral does the ticking get faster as the rpm gets higher?

You either spun a main or rod bearing through detonation because of using the wrong gas, or low or dirty oil situation. I highly doubt it's a manual head so you won't have lifters to adjust it will most likely be a hydraulic head. If so you could be low on oil and the lifters are not getting "pumped up" enough.

Is it worse better or no change with cold or hot motor? If its just on a cold motor then Mercedes could be using large ring gaps stock for a Kompressor motor which have noise when the motor is cold. Upon piston expansion the noise goes away as the gap tightens up. I have seen factory turbo/super cars use gaps as large as .0008 before which is stupid large then run with an equally large piston/wall gap.

Other things could be heat shields etc but they wont really change with RPM so much. What you need to discover is if it's mechnically linked to RPM if so then your into the motor for sure. Low octane on a Kompressor will cause detonation and make the motor spin a bearing. For your case I hope thats not it.

Just for educational purposes for those not knowing what a spun bearing is.. Around the crank where it lays in the block there are bearings. They are not ball bearings but just aluminum pieces (two) that go around the crank with a hole in the center like half moons on each side about 3/4" wide. Oil is pumped into the surface of the bearing and the crank floats on it.

When a bearing spins, it attaches it self to the crank beause of detonation where the crank is crashing into it all the time with a lot of force or low oil causing lots of heat and it fuses to the crank and the bearing spins around with the crank. The bearing spinning is now not allowing that oil to get throug the hole in the center which is where the crazy ticking noise comes from. Eventually it lockes up all together from friction and the rod flyes through the block. I have seen it in a few different Mercedes motors before.

Last edited by 986Jim; 03-14-2006 at 03:48 AM.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #14

It only seems to happen with a warm motor and the noise does not change at all(with rpms).I am guessing this is all leading to the CAT and hopefully if I leave it alone and try to ignore it for a little, it could work its way out and then I could take it from there.That or it will just get annoying and I will need to replace it.

Thanks for all your help everyone!