Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #1

Starting my Box

Still getting to know my Boxster and have a couple of questions:

1. While it starts up beautifully and sounds great, it does emit a fairly large cloud of smoke (greyish) and has a heavy gas smell. Only lasts a second or two, idle feels smooth. Is this maybe normal for a higher performance vehicle? Or is it cause I have the roof down and I just notice it more?

2. As far as parking it in my garage - is it better, or does it matter, if it's parked with the top up or down? Better to close it to stretch it out and avoid lines in the top, but then I'm opening and closing it more and that will wear out the parts quicker. What's better? I usually only drive it with the top down.

Thanks

Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Still getting to know my Boxster and have a couple of questions:

1. While it starts up beautifully and sounds great, it does emit a fairly large cloud of smoke (greyish) and has a heavy gas smell. Only lasts a second or two, idle feels smooth. Is this maybe normal for a higher performance vehicle? Or is it cause I have the roof down and I just notice it more?

2. As far as parking it in my garage - is it better, or does it matter, if it's parked with the top up or down? Better to close it to stretch it out and avoid lines in the top, but then I'm opening and closing it more and that will wear out the parts quicker. What's better? I usually only drive it with the top down.

Thanks
I noted your other post about a strong gas smell, as well as this one about seeing a cloud of grey smoke and a gas smell when the car starts. I would suggest hooking up a fuel pressure test gauge to the car, starting it and running it for a moment of two (note the running fuel pressure), then shutting it off (again noting the static fuel pressure a few moments after the car is shut off). Let the car sit for 30 min. to an hour, and check the non running static fuel pressure; if it has dropped, you have one or more leaking injectors, which is what is causing the smoke and gas smell.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #3

What he said

How many miles are on the car?
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #4

It's an 02 with just over 140,000kms on it (approx. 87,000 miles?). I understood though if it was injector related, it would most likely cause some rough idling and possible misfires? Idles and runs smooth - although I have noticed the fuel economy is slightly low (computer shows 23.5 MPG) Expected slightly higher as it's mostly highway miles.

Last edited by Giller; 07-25-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
I understood though if it was injector related, it would most likely cause some rough idling and possible misfires? Idles and runs smooth - although I have noticed the fuel economy is slightly low (computer shows 23.5 MPG) Expected slightly higher as it's mostly highway miles.
Not really, it depends upon how and when it leaks.