Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Durametric and OBC on a 2001 S

OK I got a Durametric and tried to enable my OBC today and I get an error. I then check the OBC with the Durametric and it says "OBC already enabled" ??

So I disable and try to re-enable and get teh same thing ??

Anyone else have this issue, BTW I have the newer style of Instrument Cluster

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #2

The OBC is like a light bulb, it is either on or it is off; yours must already be enabled.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

Do you see an outside temperature in your instrument cluster? When I got my 2000S it was already enabled, and as a test I disabled and re-enabled it using the durametric. I didn't try to enable it twice though. I don't have the stalk or the button hack so outside temp is all I get.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

It has a "!" by the OBC enable
Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #5

NO I have nothing on mine, My dealer said he could see the 4 stalk arm stepping and switching with his PST....I have a PST connection next week...well worth a 2 hour drive to get to use one of these jewels
Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #6

Garage
Curious what you find out as I have the same issue. Installed 4th stalk a while ago, never enabled it, but soon after put in the pcm2 instead of cdr23. Then my outside temp worked, nothing else with the 4th stalk toggling. Some time later bought a durametric and tried to enable OBC, got the same message of already enabled. Pretty sure the wiring is correct ( pretty simple, I'm an electrician ) Haven't had the time or motivation to tear into it yet and don't wish to pay dealer to hook up to their PST2. I also made sure that the order code is correct which must be done on the 03-04 cars.
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

Found this on the Pelican site

Not sure what it means

Be sure that your car is not missing the “Option Code” spec, as this will generate errors when you try to update the car with the tool.

Also found this ;

Following your information, I have had the OBC switched on in my 03 Boxster S by my local dealer.As you know on 03 Boxsters the hack to switch on the OBC involves first changing the 'Order type' setting in the DME.I understand the DME is involved with engine control so is it important to set the order type back to it's original state once the OBC has been enabled.I ask this question because since the dealer did the OBC switch on I have noticed a very slight reduction in performance.Did Porsche have good reason to set the order type differently other than to stop OBC switch ons?This could be just my paranoia or a coincidence as the weather has got a lot warmer recently.

The DME has a bearing on OBC function ???

Also found this ;

Tool Pants brought his System Tester to the work on Cars event-- he was able to do what the Dealer claimed would not work and enabled the OBC.

It turns out the Option Code Spec was missing from the computer. Once we entered it, we were able to access and enable the OBC. The software faults on the Instrument Panel & AC (from the radio change) were non-issues.

Now that the OBC is enabled, I'll order the parts.

Last edited by Pdwight; 07-18-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
The DME has a bearing on OBC function ???

Tool Pants brought his System Tester to the work on Cars event-- he was able to do what the Dealer claimed would not work and enabled the OBC.
The DME is the source for all OBC display data and functions, so it has to be correctly coded for everything to work.

The dealers have for some time been under direct orders from Porsche not to activate systems that were not originally ordered on the cars. Porsche did this to stem the aftermarket activations which costs Porsche the revenues they would have gotten if the car was ordered that way, but they also overlooked that non Porsche (PST II, PIWIS) systems (Durametric, Autologic, etc.) can now activate these system in the independent shop markets.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #9

Clarity

Well that all makes perfect sense, now what should I look for to help rectify this situation ??
Old 07-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Well that all makes perfect sense, now what should I look for to help rectify this situation ??
Exactly what do you want to "rectify"?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #11

Obc

I want to be able to see the information, when enabling using Durametric it says it us enabled but an error occured. Or the beginning of this thread has the justification for trying to do this research and help others who might be having the same problem.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
I want to be able to see the information, when enabling using Durametric it says it us enabled but an error occured. Or the beginning of this thread has the justification for trying to do this research and help others who might be having the same problem.
It sounds like you don't have the system wired up, so it may be throwing the error because the function is active in the DME but not connected to the cluster via the stalk or switch, which is also why there is not display. Like I said, it is either on or off, there is no middle ground.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #13

Option Code

I guess what I asking is where would I find the option code in the DME ?

I Looked with my durametric (enthusiast version) yesterday for almost an hour and could not find anything like that. Is this a coding option is what I am asking ? , I plan on making a trip to get the use of a PST2 next week and I want to gather all the data I can before I make the 4 hour round trip. As for being wires correctly yes it is, I checked and double checked as well yesterday. I even went as far as using a logic probe to visually ensure the TTL circuitry used in the instruments is getting the pulse and changing states from low to high as the stalk is being used.

I just want to know if someone else has enabled the "Option Code" on theirs using durametric and where you found it.

Thanks
Dwight
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #14

Quote:
I guess what I asking is where would I find the option code in the DME ?

I Looked with my durametric (enthusiast version) yesterday for almost an hour and could not find anything like that. Is this a coding option is what I am asking ? , I plan on making a trip to get the use of a PST2 next week and I want to gather all the data I can before I make the 4 hour round trip. As for being wires correctly yes it is, I checked and double checked as well yesterday. I even went as far as using a logic probe to visually ensure the TTL circuitry used in the instruments is getting the pulse and changing states from low to high as the stalk is being used.

I just want to know if someone else has enabled the "Option Code" on theirs using durametric and where you found it.

Thanks
Dwight

You should find Activations under the Instrument Cluster list on the left of the screen. Unless I am recalling incorrectly, you should be able to activate the OBC there. Make sure you put a check mark right box in the Instrument Cluster section in the second opening screen.

On a PST II:

1) Do a Control Module Search from the Vehicle Type screen.
2) Go to DME control unit.
3) Go to Vehicle Data.
4) Scroll down to Order Type. If the Order Type is shown, go to step 9, if it is a line of dashes, got to step 5.
5) Press the F7 key to edit.
6) Enter the 6-digit Order Code. (986310 for 2.5/2.7 - 986320 for 3.2).
7) Press F7 to confirm.
8) Go back to the Vehicle Type screen and do a full Control Module Search. (Essential).
9) Go to Instrument Cluster>Coding and select "with On-board Computer".
10) Press the F8 key to save.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-20-2014 at 08:20 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #15

Thanks Jeff

You are most helpful