Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #1

cayman vs Boxster suspension

Went to The Dealer to check out the Cayman. Owner told me the best handling car he has ever driven. Would have gotten a test drive but the weather was crappy. My Question as I studied the info packets what is the true difference in the suspension, it looks as if its the same as the boxster. I realize there is the sport control option which can be added but in general seems as if its the same. Is there that much body twisting from the convertible top to cause this amazing difference.. hmmm

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #2

Missing a roof always makes the car lose alot of rigidity... Just like adding a roll cage to a closed roof increases it. The nice thing about the Boxster compared to say a 911 cabriolet is that it is designed to be a convertable. It's not just a coupe with the roof chopped off that is then reenforced like most convertables are.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Missing a roof always makes the car lose alot of rigidity... Just like adding a roll cage to a closed roof increases it. The nice thing about the Boxster compared to say a 911 cabriolet is that it is designed to be a convertable. It's not just a coupe with the roof chopped off that is then reenforced like most convertables are.
Hi,

Agreed, the Boxster is one of the more Rigid Convertibles, but there is still room for improvement. Adding Front/Rear Strut Tower Braces makes a big improvement. This is evidenced in the improved handling as well as an elimination/reduction for annoying rattles and squeaks...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #4

MNBoxster,

Can you comment on the value of a front strut brace versus a rear strut brace in a Boxster application? Which will offer the most benefit on it's own?

As you saw, I added the Racing Dynamics front strut brace to my 987S but they don't offer a rear brace at this time. I intend to watch for the release of a matching rear brace but wonder how much improvement I'm missing without the rear brace.

Thanks,

Carl
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoyS
Went to The Dealer to check out the Cayman. Owner told me the best handling car he has ever driven. Would have gotten a test drive but the weather was crappy. My Question as I studied the info packets what is the true difference in the suspension, it looks as if its the same as the boxster. I realize there is the sport control option which can be added but in general seems as if its the same. Is there that much body twisting from the convertible top to cause this amazing difference.. hmmm

Mechanically you'll see the same set up between a Cayman and Boxster. However, because of the stiffer structure, Porsche was able to use stiffer springs and larger sway bars bigger in the Cayman application. Using the stiffer springs and larger sway bars on the 987 Boxster apparently doesn't work well on the more flexy Boxster chassis.

I'm not sure I would say there is an "amazing difference" in handling between the two models. At least with my 987 BoxsterS, the handling is fantastic. I imagine you may need to be on the track to feel the benefits of the stiffer structure. I suggest driving both cars back to back and finding out for yourself.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #6

MNBox,
sidetracking, and not to steal the thread, what was the "good" front tower brace to use? I've decided to put the one in -
thanks

And now, back to the regularly scheduled discussion on Cayman vs. Boxster handling...
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
MNBoxster,

Can you comment on the value of a front strut brace versus a rear strut brace in a Boxster application? Which will offer the most benefit on it's own?

As you saw, I added the Racing Dynamics front strut brace to my 987S but they don't offer a rear brace at this time. I intend to watch for the release of a matching rear brace but wonder how much improvement I'm missing without the rear brace.

Thanks,

Carl

Hi,

My comments are not empirical because I ran the Car for about 3K mi. before installing the Front Brace, never ran with the Rear Brace alone.

They were just being introduced then and the prices were in the $300 range. Not wanting to stick $600 in the Car on an unproven commodity, I opted for the Front Brace. As luck would have it, the day I called, they had reduced the price from $300 to $247. I installed it and saw a nice improvement in the handling - good investment I thought. (For the other query, I got the Racing Dynamics Strut Bar, they all work pretty much the same, but I believe from reports that the RD Brace is a better fit and better made).

The Rear was still in the $300 range, and I discounted it's effect thinking that the Roll Bar was already stiffening the Rear.

But, then I found the Rear Brace for under $200 and on an impulse, bought it. Once I installed it, WOW, it really tied the whole thing together, much more as a unit and this was what really stiffened the chassis. Handling was again improved, maybe more so and this is what really got rid of the squeaks and rattles.

I'd say that adding both is the way to go and I have never heard anyone else contradict this. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-09-2006 at 07:55 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
Mechanically you'll see the same set up between a Cayman and Boxster. However, because of the stiffer structure, Porsche was able to use stiffer springs and larger sway bars bigger in the Cayman application. Using the stiffer springs and larger sway bars on the 987 Boxster apparently doesn't work well on the more flexy Boxster chassis.

I'm not sure I would say there is an "amazing difference" in handling between the two models. At least with my 987 BoxsterS, the handling is fantastic. I imagine you may need to be on the track to feel the benefits of the stiffer structure. I suggest driving both cars back to back and finding out for yourself.

Thanks Carl kinda what I found. Seems all I here is how much better the cayman handles but seem to be the almost same set up. So stiffer springs and larger sway bars.. Now i have some ammo Thanks to all

Does the Cayman come standard with strut braces...?? I see this came up in the thread No data in my little book here.

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoyS
Does the Cayman come standard with strut braces...?? I see this came up in the thread No data in my little book here.

The Cayman does not come with strut braces and they would be much less of a benefit to the stiff Cayman structure compared to the Boxster.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #10

Well, the Boxster doesn't come with them either, nor does porsche offer them as Tequipment. This really really really surprises me--Porsche missing out on an opportunity to make money!?!?!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #11

Strut braces

I installed the Cargraphic front brace on my 987S...it is a beautiful piece and fits well. I have noticed a little more stiffness...my car has H&R lowering spring and 19s. It felt and handled terrific at Barber motorsports park last weekend...not hint of body flex that I could feel.

What's involved in installing a rear strut brace on a 986, on a 987? Do you have to cut into the rear trunk liner?

TIA!
Chris
Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C Atlanta
I installed the Cargraphic front brace on my 987S...it is a beautiful piece and fits well. I have noticed a little more stiffness...my car has H&R lowering spring and 19s. It felt and handled terrific at Barber motorsports park last weekend...not hint of body flex that I could feel.

What's involved in installing a rear strut brace on a 986, on a 987? Do you have to cut into the rear trunk liner?

TIA!
Chris
Hey Chris, where did you get the Cargraphic brace and how much was it?? I don't know about the rear brace question. I don't think there is a rear brace for the 987 yet.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #13

Chris A - how much distance did the H&R lower your car? I've used Eibach before on a Beetle and achieved an 1" lowering with a nice increase in stiffness, but without sacrificing ride comfort - I looked at H&R at that point which would have lowered the car about 2" but also would have made for a very rough ride for daily commuting.

Been thinking about lowering springs for my 987 and thinking Eibach vs H&R - I also have 19'' wheels on my Box. However, everybody also says that my car is so smooth (which I agree), and I really like the stiffness of the Cayman or Carrera vs my Boxster. What do you think?
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #14

Brace was $350 from perf products...

H&R drop is 1.4" in front 1.2" rear. Perfect height if you ask me, although you will scrape those splash guards EVERYwhere in normal driving.
Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #15
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C Atlanta
Brace was $350 from perf products...

Chris, why did you select this brace, over the Racing Dynamics for example?? Thanks.