Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Airbag Deactivation Bar

Is there a work around for the Porsche Deactivation Bar similar to the UK gentleman's solution, or is this the way to go?

Porsche Airbag de-activator (alternative to Bar and Child Seat) Boxster 911 | eBay

Is there an issue in using such a switch? For reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
I would snap this up, but my local Porsche dealer won't flip the ECU switch to activate it. Porsche of North America was sympathetic but absolutely no help, either.

Moral: call to be sure you can actually use it before you buy one of these. They built it but don't really support it. And congratulations if you can get it working.

3_Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_Angels View Post
Is there a work around for the Porsche Deactivation Bar similar to the UK gentleman's solution, or is this the way to go?

Porsche Airbag de-activator (alternative to Bar and Child Seat) Boxster 911 | eBay

This switch is not the federally approved deactivation system (airbags are a federally mandated system, any modifications have to be approved as well), no dealer (or indie) would be willing to activate the system with this installed due to liability issues.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #3

This harkens back to the admonitions that you couldn't remove the tags from your mattress. My dash and passenger seat are in the attic. I would guess that even the feds could figure out that there might not be any airbags working in the car?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

FWIW: my indie had no problem with activating this BEFORE I had the bar installed. Maybe would have been different if I had planned a non-approved switch, instead. Although now, I would't need help to do this
After much research I made the determination that it was best Not to turn off the airbag once my kids were big enough to face forward. You'll have to decide for yourself though, as I am not making an official recommendation, just letting you know the conclusion I came to.
Of note, my indie had several bars lying around that he had taken off customers cars (to decrease wt). Would have basically given them away. Might check with your local indie.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_Angels View Post

The switch is on its way. We will let the forum know of our results. I have no children riding, so this is just an exercise for us to enjoy. (We intend to have the airbags active if the passenger seat is in place)