Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #1

Hood - Locked out

HELP~

I live in Northern N.Y. and store my 2000 boxster for the winter. The battery is now completely dead and I am unable to unlock the hood to access the battery. I read a posting that said charge through the cigarette lighter and that had no effect. Can someone help me Please.

Thanks,

Michael

mrfarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
bmussatti

What you can do is pull on the cable to open it up. You can access this from the drivers side wheel well. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right side for more room. Remove a couple of plastic push in clips by the marker light. Now get a screw driver and pop the inner fender liner away from the outside edge of the fender. Pull this down enough to stick your hand in side. Look for the hood cable in which will run along the back side. Pull on the cable towards you and it will release the hood.
Should your car have an electric release. Remove the fuse cover and apply voltage to the Red pull out emergency supply. This will release it also.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #3

See http://www.986faq.com/7-0/default.asp#009 .
Old 02-25-2006, 06:15 AM   #4

After getting locked out myself last summer and fishing for the hood release wire in the wheel well I rerouted the wire to the tow hook access in the front bumper. In the future I only have to pull off the cap and pull the wire! The thing is...you need to take the front bumper off the car in order to do this. Not very difficult...just intimidating for a first timer. A good time to clean the radiators though!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #5

Wow, is it that different from a 987? I had a similar problem recently, but there is a special plastic thing you can attach a jumper cable to in the fuse box and that will give enough power to pop the hood.

I learned a good lesson about keeping my jumper cables up there...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Wow, is it that different from a 987? I had a similar problem recently, but there is a special plastic thing you can attach a jumper cable to in the fuse box and that will give enough power to pop the hood.

I learned a good lesson about keeping my jumper cables up there...
Hi,

Yes it is different. In pre-'01 Models, the Trunk and Hood latches are cable operated, '01 onward, they are electrically operated. But, the Lock on the pre-'01s is electric, so if your Battery goes dead, you cannot unlock the manual lever to open them. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #7

I just got locked out too.. Arggg.. the things you learn the hard way..

finally warm and wanted to see my baby for the first time in months, so I took the many layers of covers off to exposed the beautifully waxed body, and she is dead as a nail... Try to open the trunk to get to the battery and no go...

I guess I gotta go fish for that friggin trunk release.. Arggggggggggg......

Shoulda left the trunk open over winter.

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #8

Here we find the SINGLE thing I like about my 1997. Both trunks have mechanical, manual, cable-actuated trunk releases. The back has an electric release for the key fob, but the door sill has a manual lever. Best of both worlds on the back.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote