Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 AM   #1

Best HID Light replacement

Any suggestions on conversion kit for 00 Boxster to HID Lights?

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieboxy View Post
Any suggestions on conversion kit for 00 Boxster to HID Lights?
Yes: the factory Litronics. Most, if not all, of the aftermarket kits are not DOT, which means we have to fail the car at inspection (yes, we are required to look). In addition, when we do a PPI on a car up for sale, aftermarket kits are considered a "deduct" (read lower the asking price) due to the inspection issues, lack of replacement parts availability for most kits, and the significant number of electrical issues these kits often cause (audio static, wiring problems, cars throwing weird electrical codes, etc.). In many states, glaring aftermarket HID kits are also "ticket bait".

If you go aftermarket, do so knowing the potential risks involved.........
Old 04-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #3

^Drop-in HID are not ticket bait.... lol. GM HID projection systems on Corvette C6 or Escalade are just as bad as drop-in HID lights because their "squirrel finder" hole is very big and wide, resulting a lot of glare to oncoming driver and driver ahead.

The 986 uses H7 bulb and you can fit an OEM bulb with "H7 adapter". You can find a kit with OEM D2R bulb to minimize the glare.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
^Drop-in HID are not ticket bait.... lol. GM HID projection systems on Corvette C6 or Escalade are just as bad as drop-in HID lights because their "squirrel finder" hole is very big and wide, resulting a lot of glare to oncoming driver and driver ahead.

The 986 uses H7 bulb and you can fit an OEM bulb with "H7 adapter". You can find a kit with OEM D2R bulb to minimize the glare.
In many states, mine included, use of HID's in non DOT approved projector headlight assemblies is illegal (read drop in bulbs), and ticket bait; a favorite I might add for stopping you so they can go over the car for other infractions. Proceed at your own risk.......

The GM units you mention are carrying a DOT approved label, drop in bulbs do not.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

Even if it's DOT approved and does as much harm (lack of better word) as drop-in HID, does it make it right? Not too many realizes, GM projectors throw a ton of glare!!!

I've been in this HID and retrofit game since 2007, and what I learned over the years is that you can NOT STOP people from using those cheap $30 kit from eBay (yes it's same cost or less than halogen) but you can only educate of the risk. H4 and H7 has the lowest risk of excessive glare because you use D2R bulb and/or lower shield (H4).
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
Even if it's DOT approved and does as much harm (lack of better word) as drop-in HID, does it make it right? Not too many realizes, GM projectors throw a ton of glare!!!

I've been in this HID and retrofit game since 2007, and what I learned over the years is that you can NOT STOP people from using those cheap $30 kit from eBay (yes it's same cost or less than halogen) but you can only educate of the risk. H4 and H7 has the lowest risk of excessive glare because you use D2R bulb and/or lower shield (H4).
Doesn't matter how much the GM system glares, they have DOT approvals, which is the benchmark that states, those licensed to do annual state inspections, and local police use to determine whether or not they are legal.

Owners can do what ever they want with their cars, but they should also be aware of any and all potential downsides to their mods...............
Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes: the factory Litronics. Most, if not all, of the aftermarket kits are not DOT, which means we have to fail the car at inspection (yes, we are required to look). In addition, when we do a PPI on a car up for sale, aftermarket kits are considered a "deduct" (read lower the asking price) due to the inspection issues, lack of replacement parts availability for most kits, and the significant number of electrical issues these kits often cause (audio static, wiring problems, cars throwing weird electrical codes, etc.). In many states, glaring aftermarket HID kits are also "ticket bait".

If you go aftermarket, do so knowing the potential risks involved.........
+1. Get a used set if you cannot afford new. You can always sell them separately when you sell your car to get the money back.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
My headlights are the best on the market...period.

They speak for themselves. All inquiries can be directed to either myself or user Nine8Six as I will not remain in this thread to argue with JFP

Last edited by particlewave; 04-13-2014 at 05:22 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
My headlights are the best on the market...period.

They speak for themselves. All inquiries can be directed to either myself or user Nine8Six as I will not remain in this thread to argue with JFP
Not arguing with anyone, just stating facts as they pertain to HID lights. But I have to ask, do yours have DOT approval markings?

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-11-2014 at 08:53 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

yea your headlights are fine Charles. Already passed (above oem specs) all of the official ministry of transport inspections that we know of so far (US, CA, UK, JP, CN, etc!). Bright, bright so bright beautiful headlights blah blah

I'm actually very surprised JFP didn't get his kit as yet
Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
yea your headlights are fine Charles. Already passed (above oem specs) all of the official ministry of transport inspections that we know of so far (US, CA, UK, JP, CN, etc!). Bright, bright so bright beautiful headlights blah blah

I'm actually very surprised JFP didn't get his kit as yet
Unless it bears a real "DOT Approved" stamp, and a legitimate use of the Porsche logo, I would not own one, simply ain't worth the bother...............
Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Unless it bears a real "DOT Approved" stamp, and a legitimate use of the Porsche logo, I would not own one, simply ain't worth the bother...............
Okay, deal. We'll let you know when the paperwork is all completed

Exiting, can't wait. JFP in PA with the nine8Six projectors.... can you imagine that

(I know you want them lol)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 04-11-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: sp. meant exciting lol
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #13

Those all black ones are hot, do you have a pic of them completed?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage