Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #1

Check Engine Light Flashing

Hello,

My CEl, first came on last week, I took the car down to the dealer and he pluged up his OBD2 tool and it pointed to the 02 sensor weird thing is, both banks were ideal. Yesterday I took the car out for a brief drive and the light started flashing and I began to lose power It stopped flashing after about 3-4 mins.

I was luckily about 5 mins away from the dealer and brought it by. The dealer checked and said there were multiple misfires, any idea what this could be?
The shop tech said it was lickley a gromell, attached towhat I dont know.

Please help!!!

PorscheCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #2

Is there another dealer nearby? Your CDL (Check Dealer Light) is on.

Good luck!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #3

They have been pretty good in the past, I should have mentioned that I took the car through a carwash, it is rather cold here. And the high pressure water may have broken the gromell. WTF!!

ANYONE ALSE have any idea of what to expect? or better still what the hell it is?

Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #4

Most important, if the CEL is blinking don't drive the car. The blinking means it's serious enough to cause further damage. You need to go to AutoZone or some other place and get them to pull the actual code numbers instead of just "several misfires". The codes will tell you what bank is misfiring and if any other sensor codes are going off too.

There are so many things that can cause misfires, you really need more accurate info to help with diagnostics.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Most important, if the CEL is blinking don't drive the car. The blinking means it's serious enough to cause further damage. You need to go to AutoZone or some other place and get them to pull the actual code numbers instead of just "several misfires". The codes will tell you what bank is misfiring and if any other sensor codes are going off too.

There are so many things that can cause misfires, you really need more accurate info to help with diagnostics.
The independant porsche shop had found an o2 sensor malfinction, and multiple misfirers particuarly 6.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #6

Blinking CEL

I had this same problem with mine at just over 20k mi. Had it towed to dealership and they ended up having to replace the engine. They said that there were some metal shavings in the oil. Luckily warranty covered.
03Boxster Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #7

No My car made it out in is in great shape, looks like the previous owner took on more than he could chew and neglected the car's maintance, after a full 60K service and an ignition switch, and an ignition coil all is well.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #8

PorscheCrazy, do not put that car through another car wash. High pressure water can shoot straight up the intake on the driver's side and saturate the filter with water. When you drive the car, the water-logged filter then releases the water past the MAF and into the intake manifold and voila! You have a screwed up engine.

Rain won't find its way into the engine, but a strong blast of water has far more force.

CE light on = get it checked out soon
CE Light blinking = Pull over and get it towed to dealership or mechanic.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
PorscheCrazy, do not put that car through another car wash. High pressure water can shoot straight up the intake on the driver's side and saturate the filter with water. When you drive the car, the water-logged filter then releases the water past the MAF and into the intake manifold and voila! You have a screwed up engine.

Rain won't find its way into the engine, but a strong blast of water has far more force.

CE light on = get it checked out soon
CE Light blinking = Pull over and get it towed to dealership or mechanic.

Yeah your kinda preaching to the choir on this one, this happened 2-3 months ago.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #10

Strangely enough I've had the "dreaded" blink on two occasions just for a few seconds and then it went away. I guess it's all good though because I haven't seen the light blink in quite some time and I've never seen a solid CEL. Strange. I think the ECU was confused for a sec I guess. The car runs stronger than ever.

Last edited by Adam; 02-15-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #11

Bumping this thread...

I've searched through the forum but haven't found anything similar to what I had today. I was at a stop light, CEL flashed 3-4 times and stopped. The car was/still is running fine. Kept driving home for another 30 mins or so and haven't seen the light again. I guess I'll need to run codes? Any other input on why this would happen, stop, and not return?
18" GT3 Design Wheels
LNE IMS
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Momentary issue that went away. Most likely there is code stored even if the CEL turned off. I have read that this can happen with a misfire that is bad enough to illuminate the blinking CEL but then returns to working ok so the blinking CEL goes away. Check to see if a code is stored.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #13

Happened to me two weeks ago in my BMW. Two of the 8 coil packs were faulty, but not totally shot.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote