986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Weird Issue: Not turning over... Tried everything (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/50672-weird-issue-not-turning-over-tried-everything.html)

Brian0icu812 04-03-2014 08:08 AM

Do the exu's go bad? I had a 3000gt and had one go bad once, opened it up and it was busted capacitors but didnt think this could happen to boxsters.

I'm thinking either the ecu or immobilizer, Id hate to buy an immobilizer if its the ecu, if it was the ecu I'd just replace the 3 units and locks with a used instead of paying the crazy dealer price for one. Maybe i'll post in the parts to see if someone has a set i can rent to see if thats the problem and if so I'll just buy it from them. But this wont tell me if its the immobilizer or the ecu.

Also to clear the confusion, the car wouldnt try to start before i replaced the mechanics lock on the ignition.

Brian0icu812 04-19-2014 09:23 AM

Just bought and replaced all three components of the computer, ignition switch and key. Still nothing, and now the dash lights only come on for 10 seconds once the ground is connected then off to never return until the battery is disconnected again, the key fob still works and door lights but nothing else.
I went over the wires and the grounds and didnt see anything and when it did start nothing was changed or moved so i dont think it could be that but what else is there other than the wires and computer?
I replaced all the relays under the dash and in the trunk out of my parts car which i knew worked.
Checked the ground in the trunk, the big one from the engine (on opposite side of the maf). What other grounds should i check? I also checked the battery one of course, the one under the seat.
I'm so frustrated with this car, i keep throwing money at it and nothing, the car is out in the country with the nearest dealer a couple hours away and no indy shops near by.

Just my logical thinking if everything worked and ran then didnt start. It would have to be electrical so ruling out, relays, clutch switch, ecu/immobilizer/key, starter, ignition switch manual&electrical, short of replacing the whole wiring harness and engine wiring harness what else is there?

Brian0icu812 04-19-2014 04:02 PM

Ok so out of desperation i started from the battery/fuel pump and started tracing wires hoping something would jump out at me and noticed the rubber plug on the wire harness wasnt pushed in the hole on the outter wall b/c the jackass before me ran his own wires from the speakers to the amp. Anyways there was stuffing around it and then i pulled the front carpet out and low and behold there was an old mouse nest.

Now I'm thinking one chewed a wire inside the dash since the plug wasnt sealed tight. Also the fuse e1 and b1 (interior cluster, radio, convert top ect) fuse was both blown which might explain why they only come on for 10 seconds and go off until battery reset. I replaced the fuses and they no longer blow but the dash lights still only come on for 10 seconds and go off. The hazards, and other lights not on those 2 fuses above work but I would of assumed if they are still shorting they would blow again or am i wrong.

If the weather is nice this coming week I'm just going to take the whole dash apart and trace the wires I cant see.

Another thing, when i was changing the ignition column a long wire fell out. It had a stiff plastic shield around it and what looked like a anteanna on the end. Any idea what this is? I didnt have it on my 99 trip, and i thought the radio was around the windshield.