Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 04:49 AM   #1

Newb with Questions

I have a Nissan 350z with a mastergrade widebody kit coilovers, sway bars, CAI, cams, e-manage(tuning program), full exhaust, and 100 shot of nitrous, here is my page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2249016 and www.mastergrade.net for what the car will look similar to when it is completed. There are only two of these kits in the world mine and Mastergrades. Enough with the Nissan I'm sure you all probably don't care too much about them but anyways I have a great deal on a 1998 Boxster and was wondering what some of the better aero parts, suspension upgrades and engine/F/I options were with the Boxster as well as any problems I should expect (car has 53,000). I am choosing to get a Boxster because I drove one once and like the way it handles, I just see that there is a lot of potential to dig out of the car especially in the horsepower area. The other option for me is to get an old as in late 80s 911 or even 911 turbo which my mother had for a while but one of the cylinders lost compression so I'm kind of weary about going that route and would like the more updated look of the boxster. I recognize the boxster is not a drag car and neither is the 350 but I would like to have the car run consistant, low 13s. Thanks.

Widebody350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:34 AM   #2

I would steer you away from the Boxster if you are "tuner" and want to fiddle and increases HP.

In the end, you will be broke and disappointed. You don't buy a Box to "get it in the 13s."

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:46 AM   #3

if you decide on a boxster, best upgrade you can do is an engine swap (911 engine). then you will in the the 13's all day long. other then that there are plenty of upgrades you can do cosmetically interior and exterior wise, a sound system would be challenging but is very possible.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #4

I only used 13s to say that I want it to be quicker. Even with the Z I don't drag race and only do time attack (bodywork costs to much to repair to actully race). The Box would only be my car on occasion as in Texas my Gixxer 750 is my main method of transportation so my girlfriend would mainly be the one to drive the car. When I do drive it though I don't want it to be sluggish but more importantly it needs to look different although in a classy way. The likely hood of the Box seeing the track is minimal as well. I've had several Boxsters try me in the 350 before I did any of the engine work and I beat them easilly and although I didn't put any distance on them they did not gain on me through the twisties either(modded suspension). My only reason for not going the route of an engine swap is that in a few years when I graduate and go to Law school I will likely get a slightly used 911 Turbo or other high end car that will run much faster than either the 350 or Box with a swap.
Widebody350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #5

I suggest a Boxster S with 6 speed and leave it alone. It is fast as it is.

Or, buy a 1999 or 2000 911 Cab. The S version is faster and looks sweet too.

I am NOT an advocate of modding a Boxster; very little gain for the money and modded Porsche's are not the easiest things to sell.

Good luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I would steer you away from the Boxster if you are "tuner" and want to fiddle and increases HP.

In the end, you will be broke and disappointed. You don't buy a Box to "get it in the 13s."

Good luck.

Listen to Bruce! Porsches aren't "drag" cars. There are plenty of Porsche mods to help you in the twistees - but it's already better than most.

Obviously no amount of modding to a vehicle is going to equate to the acceleration of a GSXR. But for tuning and straightline acceleration - maybe a new Mustang, 300C, WRX, or Evolution would be the way to go. All of those have plenty of kits and parts out there to "safely" boost horsepower.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:33 AM   #7

Use the money you were going to put torwards mods and buy a used boxster S and you'll have a 13 sec car plus upgraded brakes and a few other perks.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
if you decide on a boxster, best upgrade you can do is an engine swap (911 engine). then you will in the the 13's all day long. other then that there are plenty of upgrades you can do cosmetically interior and exterior wise, a sound system would be challenging but is very possible.

That is correct. You need to get an engine swap from a 911. You'll run low 13's all day long with everthing basically OEM. No intake or exhaust aftermarket stuff needed.

If you'd like to tune your stock engine, I highly suggest to avoid it altogether. You'll end up spending more money than a 911 motor swap and be slower and end up with a blown engine. The boxster motors just don't like to be tuned.

Check out the Ruf site: http://www.rufautocentre.com/

or

Scroll down to the Boxster Power Kit

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_engine.shtml

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #9

The Box is all about the handling. The 986S has a 0-60 time running in the mid 5 seconds. Fast by anyone's standards (with a top speed higher than anyone has the nerve to go.... somewhere around 164 MPH).

As far as personalizing.... there’s plenty to do. Body panels, bumpers, wheels, interior bits...you name it! On the performance side you have suspension upgrades, shift kits and turbo chargers.

I’d trust the folks on this site’s opinion on the cost/benefit of engine improvements. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

The only thing you might want to add is a hi-flow exhaust, for more sound.

I'll be adding a Borla system to mine shortly, for sound.

Oh, and the top goes down.... by far the best feature!

Good Luck
'04S
bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #10
olly986

widebody

all the lads are right and they all make sense, i was looking to upgrade the S to a turbo, but found the cost prohibitive for the result, get a nice front and rear bumper or something like i showed on another thread (techart web site) a clear lense set and 18/19 wheels and it will be plenty to look for and drive on.
i never went further than 147mph and probably never will