Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

Question need some help

A 1998 Porsche Boxter. Tach, speedo, ect. does not work. I was told that it could be either the instruments or the ignition switch. Both were replaced and the problem persists. Is there a relay for the instrument cluster, if so, where would it be? This is really getting to be a PITA. Please help.

irelandmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #2

i just pulled my gauges yesterday, removed the red background and replaced it. When i was putting it back into the dash, there was a connector loose. its the only one for the gauges. I pulled it again. reseated the connector. all ok. By the way. I dont not have to fully put it back together before I knew it was working. After reseating the gauges.. all gauge lights came on while i was still holding it in my hand. good look. removing the gauges piece is not that hard. perhaps you can find a diy article on pelican parts. Good lucjk
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Unhappy

No connectors loose. Replaced dash and ignition switch. I was thinking it might be a relay. All fuses are good. Was told it could be the ignition switch but with a new one installed I still have this problem. I don't, unless I need to, want to take it to a Porsche dealer. Just don't have that kind of $$.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Did you check the ground connection for the electronics. I looked at the wiring don't see any relays. You checked both b1 and b10 fuses.
rocartfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #5

relook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismmm View Post
i just pulled my gauges yesterday, removed the red background and replaced it. When i was putting it back into the dash, there was a connector loose. its the only one for the gauges. I pulled it again. reseated the connector. all ok. By the way. I dont not have to fully put it back together before I knew it was working. After reseating the gauges.. all gauge lights came on while i was still holding it in my hand. good look. removing the gauges piece is not that hard. perhaps you can find a diy article on pelican parts. Good lucjk
You said no loose connector. I understand. Look in the male portion of the pins. Are any crushed down or missing? You said it was working before correct?
Old 02-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandmoss View Post
A 1998 Porsche Boxter. Tach, speedo, ect...

Specifically... what is ect?

Ask yourself, what is common with all of these gauges?

Power?

Ground?

Then go from there.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #7

Unhappy

etc. no fuel gauge working, no digital readout
Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #8

Told by a porsche dealer that there is no relay for the cluster. He said they had problems with the cluster in later model boxters. But there is a fuse. Will be checking that when the weather gets better.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #9

I thought you said in post #3 that all the fuses were good.....now I am confused.

Note: relays are usually only used when the electrical load is high - as in lights, fan motors, A/C etc. Interior dash lights are a small load and are electrically operated directly by the on/off switch.