Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #1

2002 S wont start intermittant no crank

Just bought my first P car after years of BMW M's and it's certainly a whole different beast. Really loving the experience. I have a laundry list of items I want to take care of and a few the PPI turned up. The car has 65,000 on the clock. My immediate pressing issue is an occasional no crank condition. The PPI had the issue once and thought it was the clutch switch which they replaced and it didn't recur until I had the car a day. I have jumpered the clutch switch when the issue has recurred to no effect. I drove the car nearly 200 miles yesterday with maybe a dozen start/stops and in never failed to start. This morning after a 30 minute trip it started the first time then another 30 minute trip and it wont restart. This time I was on a hill and actually rolled it and popped the clutch and it started right up. Still wont start with the key. The fact that it pop started to me rules out the immobilizer? I've switch the relays in the trunk block - even replaced with new and no change. Possibly an ignition switch so I have ordered a new one. I can't be positive but it seems to be worse when it has been run then sat and heat-sinked for awhile. I think that covers my diagnostics that I picked up from searching the boards, any other suggestions? Thanks!

kcld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Texas-T

Garage
Does it make a sound when you turn the key or is it silent? Just replaced both clutch switches, and ignition switch on mine due to a smilar problem.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #3

Possibly a bad solenoid, or worn starter motor brushes.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No crank...as in the starter is not doing anything? Not even spinning?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:25 AM   #5
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
Possibly a bad solenoid, or worn starter motor brushes.
+1 If it acts up when the engine (and therefore starter motor) temperature changes it sounds like the starter motor.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the input! When it doesn't start there is no click, lights don't dim, nothing. I've already replaced the ignition switch but haven't had it out much to test this past week as the weather has been pretty crappy. I ordered a starter also and hopefully between that and the switch the gremlin will go away.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #7

Well, have now replaced the clutch switch, ignition switch and the starter. It wouldn't crank or so much as click once today. Roll started ok then started fine with the starter an hour later. Also wouldn't start the other morning stone cold so that blows my heat sink theory. Any other suggestions guys?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk