Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Purpose of evap valve under the intake manifold.

I'm trying to chase down a vacuum leak in the evap system and I'm having trouble figuring out how the system works.

Near the carbon canister, there is a "tank vent valve" (also called a purge valve) that is controlled by the DME to purge the carbon canister of fuel vapor under certain conditions. The TVV works in conjunction with another valve near it, the "shut off valve" which opens and closes to let fresh air into the system when the TVV is open and purging the carbon canister.

So what is the purpose of another valve (I don't even know its name) under the intake manifold thats in the same circuit as the TVV?

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #2

Vent the tank while your putting gas in.. It's activated by the pump nozzle going into the tube. Proximity switch.. and.. and.. they sometimes slide down and don't *see* the fuel nozzle/pump nozzle. It has to be clocked on the alum filler tube just right
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #3

I was way way.. off.. but instead of editing..

The valve under the plenum vents the fuel pump/gas tank.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I was way way.. off.. but instead of editing..

The valve under the plenum vents the fuel pump/gas tank.
But from all I've read, the tank vent valve near the canister is what vents/purges the tank.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

If you have vacuum im the tank to purge the vapors you must also have fresh air going in. Otherwise you have the potential to collapse the fuel tank.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #6

I was cleaning my throttle body over the weekend and when I pulled this black/white 1 way valve off of the plenum and blew into it, there was quite a bit of oil inside this 1 way valve. I blew some air in there from the compressor and cleaned out all the oil.

1. This one way valve is suppose to flow in the direction into the engine correct?

2. Why was there oil inside here, what's causing it and what should I check? Could this be the cause of my P0455 and the smell of gas I've been having while idling and hard driving?
Old 06-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

Anyone? Thanks