Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #1

Tipronic stuck in gear

Hi new to the forum and a new boxster owner
i cant get the tipronic into park or reverse , but the car drives all OK and changes gears OK. i Also now cant get the key out.

i heard this happens if i park on a hill and don't carry out the correct parking procedure for selecting park

can anybody tell me how i can resolve this issue. many thanks.

newboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newboxster View Post
Hi new to the forum and a new boxster owner
i cant get the tipronic into park or reverse , but the car drives all OK and changes gears OK. i Also now cant get the key out.

i heard this happens if i park on a hill and don't carry out the correct parking procedure for selecting park

can anybody tell me how i can resolve this issue. many thanks.
Sorry to hear about your trouble mate. Not sure if the car is stuck in a slope or running. If stuck in a slope just put bricks on the front tires and jack up the rear just so the wheel can turn freely. Do this on each sides(rear) to release the weight on the tiptronic and off you go. I had this embarrassing moment once and that's what I did to get out of trouble. Took me 10min.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #3

If your car is running, then the shifter-cable is disconnected from the tip. That cable-end security clip is known for breaking when you are 100km away from civilization. Look up the tip from the driver side (just behind the rear tire). You should see your stuff hanging off there :/

Easy to put back in place (temporarily)

Hope this helps a bit
Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #4

Thanks Nine8Six i will look at that many thanks for your help.
I have managed to get the tip into park now as a temp measure by lifting off the shift button and depressing a little black (looks like a button0 down with a small screwdriver this then frees the shifter to move to park or reverse , has got me out of trouble for now until i look at the above from Nine8six reply. Also got it booked in to garage on monday so i let them have a look at it. But at least i can drive it around now.
i will keep you updated

many thanks guys for your help , keep driving them 986s

newboxster is offline   Reply With Quote