Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Rear Trunk Lid Will Not Open

New to this board. I have a 2002 Boxster. Tried to open the rear trunk today and no luck. Battery is fine, car runs great, and front trunk opens with no problem. Using either the interior switch or the key won't pop the trunk. I can hear the opening mechanism cycle, but no luck. There has to be a manual way to get this open. Any and all advice greatly welcomed.
Thanks

twelchb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelchb View Post
New to this board. I have a 2002 Boxster. Tried to open the rear trunk today and no luck. Battery is fine, car runs great, and front trunk opens with no problem. Using either the interior switch or the key won't pop the trunk. I can hear the opening mechanism cycle, but no luck. There has to be a manual way to get this open. Any and all advice greatly welcomed.
Thanks
There is a thin cable burried usually on the driver side hidden in the back bumper. Might have to remove wheel well plastic to find it...pull that cable and trunk will pop.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #3

Thanks

Trimer - Thanks - I'll give it a try.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

Garage
This might help: coolant tank. :( Scroll down to the bottom two photographs.

Edit: just found this - http://www.fixya.com/cars/t743589-access_rear_trunk_release_cable It should be of help! Here's the relevant copy:

Quote:
This happened to me too on my Porsche Boxter S 2004 - the actuator is working, the battery is charged - but the rear trunk won't open from the key fob or the inside release.

I removed the driver's side rear tire, I removed one nut from the wheel well cover closest to the back of the car, I looked inside and saw a cable. The wheel well cover could be pulled back enough to fit my hand in, so I reached in and pulled - the tunk popped open.

The problem is that my primary rear trunk release cable is broken - still need to fix that problem - but the trunk is open.

Last edited by kjc2050; 12-02-2013 at 05:57 PM.
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #5

I removed the rear driver's side wheel and pulled back the inner fender well just enough to see in and there was no cable to pull. Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks
Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #6

Garage
You can remove the rear bumper and access the emergency cable. Only takes about 15 minutes. Then you can reroute the cable to the wheelwell where it belongs also

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote