Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

IMS Bearing Alignment

After reading some of feelyx postings, I think I now know what he/she is talking about with the "leverage" on the bearing and how it causes deflection of the case walls.
At first I thought it was the case walls deflecting, causing leverage on the bearing, but now I realize it is leverage on the bearing leading to deflection of the case walls and the bearing flange.

So as I see it, in a perfect world the IM shaft, bearing and flange are all in perfect alignment with the crank case as above.

But when the IM shaft is driving the chains that are located near the bearing, the chains have leverage on the IM shaft, pulling it out of perfect alignment, putting the bearing in a bind.
I hope this is correct. It seems to make sense.

So my first question, is there a method to check the alignment of the bearing and flange when installed in the case. I imagine that if the bearing and flange are misaligned as in the second diagram, from the start, unloaded, early failure may be inevitable.
I was thinking that for a lay person, a straight rod could be installed into the flange in place of the bolt with the rod extending out of the flange a couple feet maybe, bolt flange to the case, and then the rod could be checked for square to the case bell housing mating surface.

Last edited by Walter White; 12-01-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Walter White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #2

The static torque to turn a camshaft is negligible. The acceleration forces are also relatively low, so the tangential forces are also LOW, hence the loading,
i.e. bending stress on the IMS shaft would be pittance relative to the section modulus of the shaft or the stub. Most components in engine design are designed around deflection NOT STRESS.
howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

I, too,was interested in feelyx's comment and would like to know who has incorporated his soln to this into an aftermarket soln.

ganseg is offline   Reply With Quote