Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #1

boxster s getting "warm"

So I haven't owned it long, but when I first got it...all seemed fine.

I found a slight dribble from the waterpump...so I replaced it and put in a lower temp tstat while in there. Impeller was fine nothing chewed up.

Well I have been driving it this week (since my 996 is under the knife) I have noticed while I drive freeway, the needle stays at 180 or a hair under.

If I slow down for a while, or get stuck in traffic, the needle will move up to in between the 8 and 0 touching the zero.

Thats just seems like too much movement to me. (my 996 stays on the same spot no matter what)

I realize filling a boxster with coolant is tough, but I've followed "Pedros" procedure many times.

1. WHat do you guys think? air in the system or cooling fan not coming on?

2. Can I test the cooling fans with durametric?

stilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #2

Normal-mine does the same thing, don't put too much stock in that temp gauge anyhow. I have read on this forum they are very inaccurate.
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #3

Really? I just never noticed it moving that much before the waterpump/coolant drain.

I wouldn't imagine it is really "overheating" but just noticing the change is what I was concerned about.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
recycledsixtie

Garage
In my 2001 Box base the needle on my coolant guage sits around the middle - namely about 80C(I think that is 180F or thereabouts). In the 2.5 years I have had the car it might go up about a quarter of an inch towards hot. It has never got up past 2/3 of the way to hot. If it is up to about 3/4 towards hot I would be concerned. I have not removed the front bumper yet to clean the radiators. I don't see the need yet. Only got 40k miles on car and everything is as it should be....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

This happens when one of my fans is not working (I blow fuses 2x a year for some reason).

Check your radiator fan operation by bringing the motor up to temp, turn your AC on to COLD, get out of the car, and put your hand on the ground in front of each front tire. You should feel hot air blowing on your hand and hear the fan operating.

If you don't, check your fuses. If a fuse swap doesn't fix it (and I always swap fuses out with new ones, even if they look good just because they're cheap) you have a radiator component issue.

There's usually not a lot of movement on the needle on my car unless one of my fans isn't operating properly.

97-2004 Boxsters have REAL temperature gauges, btw. This means it actually moves around when the sensors measure more or less heat. 2005 and up Boxster have what most other cars have... a temp gauge that jumps quickly to a set place on the gauge face and stays there until you're in an emergency situation and then pegs out and a warning light comes on.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #6

Normal behavior. In traffic (which I sit in alot...) the fans cycle and that determines the coolant temperature. In my case the needle cycles between the front and back side of the '0' in 180 as the fans cycle on and off. When driving at highway speeds my temps fall and the needle will settle below the '8'. It is always above the mark at 180, just how my gauge is. Rads are relatively clean and both fans work fine.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

teleski....
I assume you "burped" the cooling system by lifting the pressure relief valve chromed ring mounted under the coolant resevoir filler cap !!
I found its was best to leave the valve in the open position for a couple of heat cycles to rid the system of small pockets of trapped air.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #8

My gauge never moves once it's up to temp. Try burping 'er a once a day for 2-3 days.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
My gauge never moves once it's up to temp. Try burping 'er a once a day for 2-3 days.
If your gauge never moves, it is buffered. I forget when the boxster got the buffered temp gauge, definitely in 2005 with the 987. Sounds like the upgraded cluster from '01 on has it too. Or you just never sit in traffic?! Lucky guy.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #10

So I decided to try and burp it a couple times.

Today when i got to work, I flipped up the little metal piece on the bleeder valve, but nothing really happened. Does the valve part wear out?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #11

You must keep the bleeder valve open for a few days or several heat cycles. From cold engine back to cold engine = 1 cycle.
Just opening it when hot won't do anything. After the heat cycles, you may find the coolant level has dropped slightly - a sure sign you had air pockets in the system....