Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
It's a budget thing...
I gotcha. I hear ya loud and clear, believe me.

evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Well this is a 2001 model and I believe it is a double roller, Will two 6204 bearings fit? what is the alternative option?

If there is one maybe I can offer it to him.
Ummmmm "will two 6204 bearings fit?" Are you kidding?

You are clearly lost on this procedure, and have added that you're trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

Porsche's are not cheap cars- while they can be cheap to purchase these days (used), they are not cheap to own.

I get that you're trying to save a "friend" money here, and that's fine and dandy, but what kind of favor are you going to be doing him when his motor blows up after the fact?

If you're not willing to learn to do this the right way, obtain the proper tools, and get rid of this "as cheap as possible" mindset, you need to tell your friend to find someone who knows how to do this properly, and won't do it while trying to save a buck.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #23
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer View Post
Ummmmm "will two 6204 bearings fit?" Are you kidding?

You are clearly lost on this procedure, and have added that you're trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

Porsche's are not cheap cars- while they can be cheap to purchase these days (used), they are not cheap to own.

I get that you're trying to save a "friend" money here, and that's fine and dandy, but what kind of favor are you going to be doing him when his motor blows up after the fact?

If you're not willing to learn to do this the right way, obtain the proper tools, and get rid of this "as cheap as possible" mindset, you need to tell your friend to find someone who knows how to do this properly, and won't do it while trying to save a buck.

I'm not new to Porsche, nor am I new to working on cars. just looking at the possible alternatives. The guy is on hard times, on this board it does not happen to every member, but it does happen to some. Some how he is stuck with the car as his only driver. I'm just doing what I can for him.

Right now it appears the best alternative is the Pelican M96 Intermediate Shaft Bearing kit, it can be purchased for less than $200. Whether it is something the the member has in his funds to do is something he has to decide.

Last edited by healthservices; 11-18-2013 at 09:22 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #24

Quote:
I'm not new to Porsche, nor am I new to working on cars. just looking at the possible alternatives. The guy is on hard times, on this board it does not happen to every member, but it does happen to some. Some how he is stuck with the car as his only driver. I'm just doing what I can for him.

Right now it appears the best alternative is the Pelican M96 Intermediate Shaft Bearing kit, it can be purchased for less than $200. Whether it is something the the member has in his funds to do is something he has to decide.
Yeah, that almost makes sense: Take out the strongest OEM design and replace it with the weakest. You want to save money, pull the IMS flange off, pop out the rear seal and put the car back together. Eminently better than installing a steel single row bearing and a spacer....................
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #25

Kudos to you for helping a friend on a limited budget, but just remember a good deed often does come with punishment. The single row bearing will go in place of the double row, it comes with a spiral locking clip to prevent is from moving. At thispoint I would strongly urge the replacement with a single row and a locking clip if for no other reason that in case this friend who is strapped for cash decides sell his car, it will be worth more and sell faster with an IMS replacement. And of course do the RMS. If the clutch aint slipping then he wont get any more for it on the used market but the IMS is a real selling point. Pelican has the single row and quite a good set of instructions. I did mine with only the directions on the pelican site and while its not a novice job it is a reasonable task.
oldboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboxster View Post
At thispoint I would strongly urge the replacement with a single row and a locking clip if for no other reason that in case this friend who is strapped for cash decides sell his car, it will be worth more and sell faster with an IMS replacement.
When we do a PPI on a car that should have had a dual row in it that was replaced with a single row steel bearing kit, we count it as a deduct item against the purchase price, and strongly recommend the potential buyer replace it with a dual row ASAP.......
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #27

It's funny you all refer to him as a friend. He just a forum member local to me needing some help. I decided to install the IMS for no additional labor even thought there is definitely additional time required to install the parts.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
Beginner

Garage
I would not back away from working on that IMS. I'd turn and run. My 2 cents.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #29

Quote:

I'd have to agree with that. Experience has taught me that there are few things worse than trying to do a favor for someone who's prime consideration is not spending one penny more than they absolutely have to. Almost guaranteed to end in tears. Perhaps his best bet is to put it back together and dump it to buy something he can afford.

Oldboxster makes a valid point - No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #30

Quote:
When I was a young mechanic and I would freak when there was a scary unknown job, my older senior lead tech would say...

"it just nuts and bolts... nuts and bolts"

Of course its a little harder to say that now like when I do things on a BMW that requires a computer to accept the new part. Today even after a battery install you are suppose to program the computer to accept it!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #31

Quote:
When I was a young mechanic and I would freak when there was a scary unknown job, my older senior lead tech would say...
"it just nuts and bolts... nuts and bolts"
Of course its a little harder to say that now like when I do things on a BMW that requires a computer to accept the new part. Today even after a battery install you are suppose to program the computer to accept it!
I paid a 'European' shop with a 'Porsche trained' mechanic $100/hr to do my IMSB replacement and the valves got bent. It took them another month to fix it!:troll: They said they had 80 hrs into by the time they were done. And I tell everyone I can about it! Then they forgot to tighten all of the clutch cover bolts so I had to redo the clutch job 6-7000 miles later!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I paid a 'European' shop with a 'Porsche trained' mechanic $100/hr to do my IMSB replacement and the valves got bent. It took them another month to fix it!:troll: They said they had 80 hrs into by the time they were done. And I tell everyone I can about it! Then they forgot to tighten all of the clutch cover bolts so I had to redo the clutch job 6-7000 miles later!
Round peg...

round hole

Square peg...

square hole

It's not brain surgery, but it one does have to take attention to details...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited by healthservices; 11-18-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yeah, that almost makes sense: Take out the strongest OEM design and replace it with the weakest. You want to save money, pull the IMS flange off, pop out the rear seal and put the car back together. Eminently better than installing a steel single row bearing and a spacer....................
Exactly. If you're trying to save this guy money, don't touch the thing, as trying to make this better, while trying to save money just ain't gonna work.

Better yet, I'd walk away from the deal and tell him that since he clearly can't afford to maintain this car, that he should just sell it to someone who can and buy something that he can afford.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #34
Beginner

Garage
Wishing you the best on this adventure if you proceed. If you find the bearing is good or bad this forum is a great resource for you to use. If you so much as remove the IMS cover, you should follow the excellent directions provided you earlier in this thread to the letter. Heretic alert! Stop reading if you abhor heretics! really, stop now! Heretic portion use at your own peril: If you decide to replace the bearing, replace the double bearing with a similar double - source a new bearing with the information embossed on the grease seal - the cheapest, Ahem, most cost effective option... Google the bearing number and you will have a plethora of options. Your challenge will be getting the bearing out (special tooling $$$), retrieving the stud that the bearing is on, (I pressed out my single easily with a vise and some wood tooling) putting the new bearing/stud together (freezer/hairdryer) and getting that assembly back into the IMS (Freezer + more special tooling $$$). Best of luck with the double. The letters on the grease seal tell you what type of seal is used, the single is "sealed" on both sides. I assume the double is as well. I *mainly* copied the original questionable design in my bearing replacement. The down side is that whatever you do even if you so much as open up the IMS cover to look at the bearing, you will "own" this bearing, and this engine in the future.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #35

well that's long done, and gone... on to the next Porsche!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #36
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
well that's long done, and gone... on to the next Porsche!

Bearing pics?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #37

Have to go out and take a look at it, but it felt good to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #38

Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #39

I have been doing some research on ball bearing failure, and there is one test you can perform with a bearing in place.
Remove the seal and check how loose the cage is (also called a separator or retainer). On OEM single row bearings, check that the cage is not able to touch either the inner race or outer race. If it can, a bearing failure may be close.
I haven't done as much research on double row bearings, but on OEM double row bearings, the cage is a bit different. It is easy to see if it can touch the inner race, but you have to look very closely at the cage to see if any part of it can touch the outer race.
These checks should be performed on new bearings before installation. On single row bearings, you want to check that the cage cannot be pushed more in one direction than any other direction. In other words, it should remain fairly well centered.