Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Spoiler adjustment

My spoiler is contacting my rear bumper cover when actuates....down. With it up the space available around it makes it look like it is cocked. After a quick look its unclear as to what can be adjusted and how it got like that. It does not seem to sit all the way down either...will post some pics. Could it be the bypass exhaust warping the bumper cover over time?

Anyone run into this. Any adjustments available?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

It looks like the blade portion of the spoiler is off somehow possibly at the connection actuator connection points....also the actuator post show asymmetric stroke patterns .....what the heck? I have stowed I up so it doesn't contact the bumper cover

Old 11-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

Hmmm....interesting two of the rivets holding the spoiler on are metal rather than plastic like the middle one. This looks like its removable but metal one look like they need to be drilled out

Does this mean the previous owners messed with the spoiler and put it on cocked? How do I keep the spoiler up...manually actuate and pull the fuse?

Yesterday it kept dropping after hitting the switch....arrrrgh

Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That is very strange, the spoiler should stay up permanently if you use the button, until you use the button to lower it. Passing 75mph and then slowing to below 50mph will not override the switch.

I suspect that the PO had an aftermarket spoiler then replaced it with the original before selling it. Which would explain the mismatched rivets, and how it was bent. I wonder if the bolts that hold the actuators to the frame could be loose, allowing the entire spoiler to lean back. Does it have any play/wobble in it?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
petrol head

Garage
I had a similar problem, my remedy was; The spoiler has to have been off at some point due to the presence of the steel rivits ( PO obviously mislaid the originals) if you remove the rivets and carefully remove the painted part of the spoiler, you will see two holes on the ends of the remaining spoiler. At the bottom of the holes you will see the head of the pins which hold on the spoiler body. These were fitted at the factory using thread lock. A 6mm allen key is needed to remove/tighten these (dont forget the thread lock.
always porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
That is very strange, the spoiler should stay up permanently if you use the button, until you use the button to lower it. Passing 75mph and then slowing to below 50mph will not override the switch.

I suspect that the PO had an aftermarket spoiler then replaced it with the original before selling it. Which would explain the mismatched rivets, and how it was bent. I wonder if the bolts that hold the actuators to the frame could be loose, allowing the entire spoiler to lean back. Does it have any play/wobble in it?
That is what I thought, yet after actuating the spoiler up with the car running and then pulling over after an hour blast.....I get out and it is down. Perhaps the asymmetric condition is preventing "full" override as a limit switch is open or...logic is out.

2 previous owners and would have never pegged them for aftermarket "spoilers". I am pretty sure those rivets should all be plastic...the metal ones are an exact size match but metal. I would have to drill them out...not sure what is behind them to damage....arrrgh

The actuator posts seem to be tight and stable but are stroking differently. Everything is tight
Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by always porsche View Post
I had a similar problem, my remedy was; The spoiler has to have been off at some point due to the presence of the steel rivits ( PO obviously mislaid the originals) if you remove the rivets and carefully remove the painted part of the spoiler, you will see two holes on the ends of the remaining spoiler. At the bottom of the holes you will see the head of the pins which hold on the spoiler body. These were fitted at the factory using thread lock. A 6mm allen key is needed to remove/tighten these (dont forget the thread lock.
Okay will try and check this out....it is really crispy here and I have no indoor workshop to play in! So perhaps the spoiler orientation can be adjust via these 6mms yes?

It has to come off as its crunching the bumper every speed change..jeez the whole thing needs to be overhauled