Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #1

Seat stuck. Can't change angle.

Hi,

Need your help my friends.

Took my Box for a trip and the passenger backrest is stuck. The electric button is working only one way - forward angle. When you push the button backward to change the backrest angle backward it's not working. Feel like the button is stuck. Moving only forward.

Any idea whats wrong?

I'm stuck with the seat on 90 degrees angle

2000 Boxster S
Thanks
Yaron

1971 conv' beetle, 2332cc (sold )
ybn533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Electric seats have two motors, the one under the seat controls the forward/back, one inside the backrest controls the angle. I have had the cable for the motor under the seat come loose (from the hooks on my seat cover straps), you can just pop it back into place. The one inside the seat is more troublesome. I think you are either dealing with a bad motor or switch.

A few questions:
When you push it to forward tilt does it sound normal?
Does it make any noise/sound when you push it back tilt? (Which you said is what is not working)
How is the button stuck? Does it not move, or not feel like it is triggering anything?

Last edited by rick3000; 10-26-2013 at 12:02 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Electric seats have two motors, the one under the seat controls the forward/back, one inside the backrest controls the angle. I have had the cable for the motor under the seat come loose (from the hooks on my seat cover straps), you can just pop it back into place. The one inside the seat is more troublesome. I think you are either dealing with a bad motor or switch.

A few questions:
When you push it to forward tilt does it sound normal?
Does it make any noise/sound when you push it back tilt? (Which you said is what is not working)
How is the button stuck? Does it not move, or not feel like it is triggering anything?
Hi,

Thanks for your respond

1. Forward working with no problem. Sound normal
2. No noise when pushing backward.
3. The button is stuck. Only moving forward. It will like not trigering as you said

Thanks
Yaron
Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Based on what you said, I think it is the control that has broken, especially if it is not moving properly and the motor is not even coming on to try and tilt the seat back. Perhaps you could test it by removing the control from both seats and connecting the functional seats control to that bad seat and see if it works. If not then it must be the motor.

There is no relay for the seat controls, and a fuse would affect both seats. Here is a diagram of the backrest motor and wiring. The relay and the bit with #2-7, is only if you have seat heaters. Best of luck!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #5

Garage
I only have the seat-back tilt motor on my seats. Had an issue where the tilt function was binding and the tilt wasn't working properly. I opened the plastic cap on the outer lower side of the seat back. The end of the spline (rod) that is driven by the motor had slid toward the console and was no longer engaged on that side of the seat, causing the seat back to twist when I was trying to tilt in either direction.

Slid it back into place and the seat worked fine again. Sounds like your problem is likely related to the switch as Rick3000 suggested, but it might be worth a look. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Based on what you said, I think it is the control that has broken, especially if it is not moving properly and the motor is not even coming on to try and tilt the seat back. Perhaps you could test it by removing the control from both seats and connecting the functional seats control to that bad seat and see if it works. If not then it must be the motor.

There is no relay for the seat controls, and a fuse would affect both seats. Here is a diagram of the backrest motor and wiring. The relay and the bit with #2-7, is only if you have seat heaters. Best of luck!

Wow you sure helped me. Thanks.

I'll start with reassemble the seat control and check it. It feels like the button is stuck.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
I only have the seat-back tilt motor on my seats. Had an issue where the tilt function was binding and the tilt wasn't working properly. I opened the plastic cap on the outer lower side of the seat back. The end of the spline (rod) that is driven by the motor had slid toward the console and was no longer engaged on that side of the seat, causing the seat back to twist when I was trying to tilt in either direction.

Slid it back into place and the seat worked fine again. Sounds like your problem is likely related to the switch as Rick3000 suggested, but it might be worth a look. Good luck!
My problem is that the motor is not engage. So I don't think that this is my problem. I think it's the control button.

Thanks
Yaron
Old 10-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #8

I have those seat motors lying around if you or anyone else needs one. PM me...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #9

OK. Good news! problem fixed!

The problem was the the button was broken inside. so one way forward it worked but the other way it didn't. glued it and returned to place. work like a champ now

But as we say....problems bring problems, that they won't be alone...

New problem now (not connected to seat anyway), the roof stuck and not coming down.
checked the fuse, brake unit and relay. all good!
the clamshell operated with the electric motor (you can hear the sound) but is sound stuck, the clamshell only goes up for 10 mm and stuck. I can get it down again but you hear the roof engine working hard like something is putting hard life for it.

Is it a bell ring for me to sell the car? two problems in two days?

Thanks
Yaron